Update specific column of a DataTable without using loop

I have to remove a symbol (if exists) from one specific column of a DataTable? Do we have any way to achieve the same without using any loop in UiPath ?

1 Like

Hey @sishiramishra

"Your_Datatable_name".Rows("rownumber").Item("columnName/columnNumber") = "your new value"

Regardsā€¦!!
Aksh

It will replace the value, I have to update.

Eg: All -ve symbols should be removed

Is is just the assign new value give by you to that particular Row and column, Rest regarding to replace ā€œ-ā€ you have to perform your string manipulation like string.replace or Regex.

"Your_Datatable_name".Rows("rownumber").Item("columnName/columnNumber") = "your existing value".Replace("-","")

Regardsā€¦!!
Aksh

hi @aksh1yadav ,

how about if the row is empty then it will replace the value.

is it possible?

@aksh1yadav, I have kind of a similar requirement. Iā€™m looking for a way to convert all values in a datatable column to uppercase without using a loop. Can we do this?

@Tharusha_Jayadeera

Try below expression.

outputDT = inputDT.AsEnumerable().ToList().ForEach(Sub(row) row("ColumnName") = row("ColumnName").ToString.ToUpper).CopyToDataTable
1 Like

I tried to write this in an Assign activity but it gives an error saying ā€œExpression does not produce a valueā€. Did I miss something?

@JoshLoops

Welcome to our UiPath community.

Can you show me screenshot of the expression you used here. So that I can check and help you.

see the screenshot of the compiler error. My intention is to write ā€œInvalidā€ on all cells under the ā€˜Issueā€™ column of the datatable

This is what I wrote on the assign activity:
dt_InvoiceNames.AsEnumerable().ToList().ForEach(Sub(row) row(ā€œIssueā€) = ā€œInvalidā€).CopyToDataTable

Thanks

Hi,

Use the below code in invoke code activity

For Each row As DataRow In in_InputDataTable.Rows
row(ā€œIssueā€)=ā€œInvalidā€
Next

Thanks and Regards,
Sanjit Pal

2 Likes

Thanks for this. One of the simplest way to do it. I guess, Iā€™ve been to skeptic about not using loops :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@lakshman, I got the same error ā€œExpression does not produce a value ā€.

@Sanjit_Pal, I think the solution proposed should work. But itā€™s again a for loop exactly similar to For Each Row activity in UiPath.

Thanks,
Tharusha

Hi @Tharusha_Jayadeera

Yes, the statement is also a for each row but it would not take as much time which is taken by the For Each Activity in uipath. It would take very minimal time

Thanks

1 Like

@JoshLoops

Sorry. I forgot to mention one point here.

You need to write expression in Invoke Code activity.

dt_InvoiceNames.AsEnumerable().ToList().ForEach(Sub(row) row(ā€œIssueā€) = ā€œInvalidā€)

Note: Create one argument for Invoke Code activity and mention properties as below.

Name - dt_InvoiceNames
Direction - In
Type - DataTable
Value - dt_InvoiceNames

@Tharusha_Jayadeera

Sorry. I forgot to mention one point here.

You need to write expression in Invoke Code activity.

InputDT.AsEnumerable().ToList().ForEach(Sub(row) row(ā€œColumnNameā€) = row("ColumnName").ToString.ToUpper)

Note: Create one argument for Invoke Code activity and mention properties as below.

Name - InputDT
Direction - In
Type - DataTable
Value - InputDT

2 Likes

@Sanjit_Pal, @lakshman Thank you very much!

2 Likes

You know that still loops, right? Itā€™s impossible for any method to update a database without looping.