Unable to Install Microsoft OCR in 2019

Hi All,

I can see from multiple posts that UiPath needs Sharepoint Designer 2007 for installing Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI) that is required to get Microsoft OCR. One such post is - Uipath - Install MS Office OCR - #7 by Kadhambam_Pookkal

Below is my issue:

MS Sharepoint Designer 2007 is not available for download anywhere. The link that has been provided in the other posts - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=21581 says that it is no longer available for download.

The one I did manage to find was MS Sharepoint Designer 2007 SP3. But I believe that this is an add-on because when I try running it, I am getting the message “There are no products affected by this package installed in your system”. I downloaded this add-on pack from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27815 after searching in Microsoft site.

My OS is 64-Bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. My UiPath version is 2019.6.0 Community edition.

So my questions are:

1. Where/how can I download MS SharePoint Designer 2007 now (in 2019)?
  2. If someone has the downloaded file, will they be able to upload it somewhere for me to download?
  3. Is there any other way to get Microsoft OCR in UiPath going forward?

I really appreciate the support that this forum has provided so far. You guys are really awesome!

Please revert if someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Dexpert,
Welcome to the Community!
I’m not sure why do you want to install this but in 2019.6 Community Edition you have by default Microsoft OCR Engine installed:

1 Like

Thank you very much!

The reason I am trying to install SharePoint Designer 2007 is only to get Microsoft OCR. So if it is already available, then I may not need SharePoint Designer 2007.

And you are absolutely right. I could see Microsoft OCR under the OCR Engine options. But do I need to import/enable it or something like that?

Because when using the UiPath inbuilt Microsoft OCR, I ran into 2 problems:

1) When I try to use screen scrape, I do not get Microsoft OCR in the drop down:
Microsoft%20OCR%20screen%20scrape%20situation

2) When trying to incorporate it in the workflow, I am unable to store the extracted data:

I have no idea why there is a warning about implicit conversions when I am using a string variable to receive data as per - https://activities.uipath.com/docs/microsoft-ocr

If it helps, I am unable to use Tesseract OCR also (:man_shrugging:). I had requested help with that in another post - Unable to Scrape anything using Tesseract OCR - #2 by ShilpiJ

Perhaps I am doing something fundamentally incorrect with my OCR settings??

Normally you should be able to choose Microsoft as well:
However if this is not visible you can check if all packages are the newest. Eventually after screen scraping you can go to the activity which is shown after scraping:

Remove the Tesseract OCR engine and place other one:

@Dexpert

You may refer below posts as well-

1 Like

Dear @Pablito,

Thank you for the reply and the tips! I tried them out and found more details:

1. #2 in my previous post shows the message that makes the workflow invalid when I substitute the Tesseract OCR with the Microsoft OCR.

2. I found that there were a lot of packages missing. While installing them, the below 2 packages for Tesseract and Microsoft OCR could not be installed in my system as they failed.

Most other OCR related packages (especially those from UiPath has been installed).

The Microsoft OCR installation fails with the below error message:

“NU1202: Package Microsoft.Windows.Ocr 1.0.0 is not compatible with net461 (.NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1). Package Microsoft.Windows.Ocr 1.0.0 does not support any target frameworks.”

And yes, I am using .NETFramework Version v4.6.1.

Other than any further insights, my specific doubts are:

1. Is there another package that I can install to get Microsoft OCR? If so, which one?
  2. Should I downgrade/upgrade my .NETFramework Version? If so, to which one?
  3. Why is my workflow invalid (as shown in #2 of my previous post) when I substitute the Tesseract OCR with Microsoft OCR?

I am very grateful for all your inputs till now. Thanks in advance.

Dear @ShilpiJ,

Thank you for the references. I have gone through them.

Since I am taking the Foundation course from UiPath site, I am already familiar with most of the details in the first post which explains basics.

The other post - Missing Microsoft OCR in Screen Scraping Wizard - #4 by ddpadil - ends with the person having to install Sharepoint Designer 2007, so it would bring me back to my initial question.

However, a post within your second reference post - Why Microsoft OCR is not working in my UIPath Studio - #2 by vvaidya - has a reference about the necessity of installing KB 2533623 for Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

The same has been suggested by @florinszilagyi in my other post - Unable to Scrape anything using Tesseract OCR - #5 by florinszilagyi

I am not sure if it is installed in my system. I will work on the same and revert.

@Pablito @florinszilagyi @ShilpiJ - You guys have been very responsive and helpful. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Those all OCR engines are installed by default only from official UiPath Packages. I think that the installation of your studio might be somehow broken. Maybe try to reinstall it based on this instruction: