UiPath Workflow Ownership

Consider this scenario:

• You build a process for Company A that opens up Notepad inputs “Hello, Company A!”, saves it to desktop, closes Notepad.
  • You convert that workflow into a blank workflow template so that you can pass it any CompanyName parameter.
  • You leave Company A, and join another company, Company B.
  • You reuse the blank workflow template and this time pass it Company B’s name, “Hello, Company B!”

Can Company A say that they own that workflow template (since it was built on Company A’s time) and therefore cannot be used for another company in any likeness?

1 Like

It depends on Company A’s policy on the work of the employees. Typically, companies have an agreement all employees must sign where they waive the rights of ownership to any of the work done for said company. It could be argued then that this workflow does belong to Company A.

If you need a workaround, you could build a workflow similar to this one to avoid legal repercussions, but it is worthwhile to check with your current company’s policy on doing so.

1 Like

Addendum: If you create said workflow on your own time and use an open source license, and then use that code for Company A, you can use it again for Company B.

1 Like

Thank you!

Consider this:

• You use UiPath’s REFramework to develop Company A’s process (catered to specifically to that process)
  • You leave Company A, and join Company B
  • You use UiPath’s REFramework to develop Company B’s process (catered specifically to that process)
  • Obviously both projects will share similar structure due to using the REFramework

Can Company A say that we cannot develop using UiPath’s REFramework because it is too similar of a structure to the process developed for Company B?

Just curious because I have a far enhanced version of UiPath’s REFramework (similar in scope, but different in execution) - Initialize, Get Data, End Process, layered with a Global Exception Handler - that I reuse for different companies.

No, because UiPath distributes the REFramework free-of-charge. The problem only comes in if the underlying process contains similarities which beyond a reasonable doubt indicate that the workflow files were created from Company A’s code.

1 Like

Thanks!

So if we are using UiPath’s REFramework and modify it extensively (i.e., remove/rename some variables and entire sequences, and add some new ones, then rename the Template to something else, “ABC Framework”) in order to fit that specific Company A’s environment, is it no longer UiPath’s Framework and now belongs to Company A?

Then if we take that same template (“ABC Template”) and modify it extensively (Rename it to “XYZ Template”) for Company B, is it no longer Company A’s Template and now belongs to Company B?

As long as the template and underlying processes are not an exact replicas of each other, we should be fine?

This will be fine as long as there is no information indicating that the code was directly pulled from Company A and updated anywhere in Company B’s template. In such a case, you’re modifying Company A’s property and this would still be a legal risk.

3 Likes

Thanks, man!

One more question, if you build a custom activity out of a UiPath activity and use that across different companies, is it Company A’s activity or is it still UiPath’s activity?

Example:

On Company A’s time…

• You build a workflow that simply runs UiPath’s “Kill Process” activity in a loop for each process name it was passed (no company data passed).

On your own time…

• You convert that workflow into a Custom Activity and post it to UiPath GO!
  • You leave Company A and download that UiPath GO! custom activity and reuse it for Company B

Can Company A claim that the custom activity belongs to them?

UiPath GO! Requests that you associate a license with the activities you’ve uploaded. As long as the license permits free use, you will be ok using that activity.

1 Like

Thank you! I really appreciate the help as I ensure my practices are ethical!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.