For a couple of months now we have noticed on many machines that the Microsoft Edge browser extension stopped working. To fix it, we had to reinstall on the machine again the extension and it worked correctly again, running on those machines correctly. However, after a while the extension would again become corrupted and we would have to repair it again. We checked with our internal systems and cybersecurity teams to make sure that nothing was being touched by them and they confirmed that it was not. Another investigation we did is whether the extension could be corrupted when we run processes that have dependencies on old packages that conflict with the extension. However, by testing on development machines we did not observe any old packages corrupting the extension. We saw that the damage to the extension that occurs is that in the path C:\UsersRobot03\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Extensions the folder with the extension ID is sometimes completely deleted and sometimes all the folders inside it are deleted.
It might be an imaging issue as well…but if you it confirmed IT then may be as a work around you can have the folder as a copy and before running at the start of the process the folder can be copy pasted and then used so that we can make sure that the extension would be available
Can you try with this
- Use the NativeHostOnly installation method by adding EDGE_INSTALL_TYPE=NativeHostOnly to the installation command for Studio/Robot/Assistant/Orchestrator MSI installer.
Check out this document
Check if ChromeNativeMessaging.exe exists in %localappdata%\UiPath\app-version\chrome_native_messaging folder and run it as administrator if needed.
Set DeveloperToolsAvailability to 0 or 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge registry key.
Check out this document
Thank you very much for your reply. I have already analyzed all the points in the document you have attached and none of them seems to be wrong. The problem is that when I repair and reinstall it, the extension works correctly for a while. However, after several executions the extension folder is deleted by the robot user by msedge.exe. We have been able to observe this in the event viewer of the machine by auditing the folder where the extension is stored.
Thank you very much for your help
Since you see that the extension issue is happening because the extension ID is deleted from the path
C:\Users\Robot03\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Extensions, it might be some configuration in your environment that leads to that. For example, with roaming profiles, the
%localappdata% folder (
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local) is not persistent and the data is lost after sign-out.
You can try setting a different User Data folder (a persistent folder) when you open the browser and check if the problem still occurs. For this you can use the properties available for both Open Browser and Use Application/Browser activities:
UserDataFolderModewhich can be set with the value
UserDataFolderPathwhich indicates a custom User Data folder when
UserDataFolderModeis set to