UIPATH Version Upgrade

Hi All

We are using a way old UIPATH version 2016 in our project and we’re planning for an upgrade to the latest version. Have a few fundamental questions regarding the same.

1. Can we have both 2016 and 2018 versions running in parallel in a machine so we can test a copy of the existing bots in 2018 version for any compatibility issues without impacting the stable ones
  2. We have licences for 2016 version. Is there any additional licence fee for 2018 version?
  3. In case we’re directly migrating from 2016 to 2018, how long is the expected downtime considering the deprecation and forward/backward compatibility issues. Please shed some light on the risks as well.
  4. Could see StandfordNLP engine is newly integrated in UIPATH Cognitive package. I understand the server URL need to be specified in the property. What is the case with enterprise edition. Does StandfordNLP comes with a cost and if yes, how much it is?
  5. We have integrated SQL version 2012 for storing our bot metrics and reporting. I believe this SQL version is compatible with 2018 version of UIPATH Orchestrator.

Apart from the above queries, if there are any implications in this upgrade, please let me know.

1 Like

Hi All

We are using a way old UIPATH version 2016 in our project and we’re planning for an upgrade to the latest version. Have a few fundamental questions regarding the same.

1. Can we have both 2016 and 2018 versions running in parallel in a machine so we can test a copy of the existing bots in 2018 version for any compatibility issues without impacting the stable ones
  2. We have licences for 2016 version. Is there any additional licence fee for 2018 version?
  3. In case we’re directly migrating from 2016 to 2018, how long is the expected downtime considering the deprecation and forward/backward compatibility issues. Please shed some light on the risks as well.
  4. Could see StandfordNLP engine is newly integrated in UIPATH Cognitive package. I understand the server URL need to be specified in the property. What is the case with enterprise edition. Does StandfordNLP comes with a cost and if yes, how much it is?
  5. We have integrated SQL version 2012 for storing our bot metrics and reporting. I believe this SQL version is compatible with 2018 version of UIPATH Orchestrator.

Apart from the above queries, if there are any implications in this upgrade, please let me know.

1 Like

Hi @BhuvanaPL

Please find my quick answers below. I think I got 1. mostly right, but I might come with some clarification. :slight_smile:

1. It is not supported. You might get away with it by having two Community Edition Studios on two different users, but with Enterprise edition the services are installed for the entire machine. I suppose it would require a lot of micro-managment to make sure that the correct version of Studio is running with the matching version of the services.
  2. There is no extra cost involved with a simple upgrade to a newer version.
  3. See this thread for small discussion about this topic Migrate older version UiPath projects to new version of UiPath
  4. See here: “In essence, it works by calling the API (Google, StanfordNLP, etc.) and returning the results for your input. This means that, in order for these activities to work, you’ll have to have an account for their respective API.”
  5. It should work without issues as long as it complies with the current pre-requisites: https://orchestrator.uipath.com/docs/prerequisites-for-installation#section-sql-server
1 Like

Many thanks for your responses @loginerror :slight_smile:

My further questions on the licensing. We hold licenses for v 2016 and I believe 2016 licenses can be re-purposed for 2018, after migration. Please confirm.

Can you help me with a link for Stanford NLP and Google Text Analysis where I can register and get API keys, please?