UiPath supports coding language VB and C# but when?

Hello Folks,

This is my first ever post in the forum.
Though, I have read it everywhere that UiPath doesn’t need the coding at all but still I am seeing few posts related to coding part which required help in C# and VB.
I am posting my query from dev point of view where I need to automate an application to reduce the manual work. I am not sure where and when should we use C# or VB in UiPath.

Thanks
Anuj

1 Like

@anujg in most of the activities u required coding to automate, but less compared to hard coding

1 Like

Are you referring to the coding and not hard coding where we do in setting variables and applying if condition/for loops etc?
If that is the case, it will be considered as minimal b’coz we are not writing the code with all those syntax supported by certain language.

1 Like

@anujg coding is required in uipath

1 Like

C# and Vb net codes are used which developing custom activities and macro coding

1 Like

OK, I got to know we have to write code whenever we need to create custom activities but another query based on that, how often we need to create those activities unless we get them under Package Manager?

See if u create any custom activity like vlookup then no need create again often when u use again.Custom activities should be made in unique name then if u want to edit that activity then u change in the code.

RPA tooling in general (not only UiPath) is marketed that it only requires limited coding to automate processes and thus business users can quickly adopt it. This is true to a certain degree, as some people are already getting anxious when they see some simple HTML / XML code, which is frequently used for setting proper selectors. It’s the basic concept of programming, using variables, if-statements, loops etc, that is the key thing.

To give you an example, I just posted this here: Parse String - #5 by Bolletje
What is shows is that you use some simple coding to retrieve a specific value from a string variable. These kind of small code snippets are used throughout the automation of processes. Another example is altering a data table, which is also regularly used.

I personally use custom coding for custom VB for Excel Macro’s, which are then way faster than developing it through many activities. Or to reduce dependencies. E.g. in the UiPath training you have an exercise where you need to retrieve the hashed (SHA) value of a variable. They use a 3rd party website to calculate for this, but you can actually run this locally as well.

If you can point to the examples you mentioned in your start post then we can better advice whether that is common practice or an one-off thing.

@Bolletje My application contains the following controls:

• TreeView (Dynamic entries)
  • ListView
  • Buttons
  • TextBoxes
  • Dropdown (Dynamic entries)
  • Radio buttons
  • Menu Bar
    I don’t think I would need to create any custom activity to handle it.

Nah, true, nothing out of the ordinary. You can manage most with standard activities.

What if complex automation like if rows, columns, column name not fixed and to create Pivot table, chart. Can we do it just by uipath?