UiPath Not Able to Modify Excel Cell in VM

Hi everyone,

I was experiencing an issue for the Write Cell activity in the Excel Application Scope when in Virtual Machine.

The purpose to open an excel file, modify a cell value, and read the resulted value from another cell.

Below is the first section related to the write cell activity:

The bot runs through all the activities fine in my local computer; however, when I put the workflow onto the Virtual Machine, it’s having difficulty modifying the excel sheet cell showing error as below:

I am confused because it’s the exact same workflow and same excel file.

Did anyone experience this issue before?

Any insights / help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi @Rebecca_Liao

the sheet is password protected.

1 Like

Hi Aditya,

When I ran it from my local PC, I do not need to unprotect it / enter any password to modify the sheet.

Do you know why this differs in VM and how to deal with this?

Thanks!

were you using same excel in local machine and VM?

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes.

Does the difference in package versions matter?

I dont think its because of version difference, the error is because the excel used in VM has password

there is one more check you can do … in excel scope properties check password fields if there are any values (in both VM and local machine)

also check if the excel paths (in vm and local) are pointing to correct excel

Maybe the VM user does not have permission to modify the excel whereas you do in your local PC.
Check the following. Maybe that’s the case.

On the Review tab. in the Protect group, click Allow Users to Edit Ranges :

It might differ depending on your excel version.

Have you used any excel scope before this activity and not used close excel activity? If using Excel scope,not closing it.But using an other excel scope might also lead to such issues. So always use close excel, if we are using Excel scope.

Hi Aditya,

No, password fields are not filled in in both, and they are pointing to the same excel in the same folder.

I ended up downgrading the excel application package version in the VM to align with the version on my local PC. I don’t know why but it ran through without that error.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Hi Meher,

Thanks for the response!

I did not use excel scope before this activity, Write Cell is the first activity I put in the Excel Application Scope. Good to know that!

I ended up downgrading the excel application package version in the VM to align with the version on my local PC. I don’t know why but it ran through without that error.

Thanks for the help!

I tried that, but did not work out.

Oh that is strange!!!
What is the version you downgraded frrom in VM?

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.