UiPath Community 20.10 Stable Release - StudioX

UiPath Community 20.10 Stable Release

StudioX

You can now “Paste from Clipboard” or “Copy to Clipboard” when reading/writing values to activities in StudioX.

The options are accessed using the + menu:

• Paste from clipboard” appears for fields used as activity inputs
  • Copy to Clipboard” appears for fields that are activity outputs.

To use these capabilities in an existing project created prior to 20.6, you will need to open Package Manager, and update your project’s package references to the newest versions.

PowerPoint

You can now create PowerPoint presentations using StudioX. New projects created reference the PowerPoint package by default. The new PowerPoint activities can be found under the “Presentation” activities category. If you want to add PowerPoint capabilities to an existing project open Package Manager, and add a reference to “UiPath.Presentation.Activities”.

Excel

We added the following Excel activities:

• Save Excel File As: You can now save an existing Excel file currently in use as a new file. This also gives you the ability to choose a different format if needed (*.xlsx, *.xls, *.xlsm, *.xlsb)
  • Clear Sheet/Range/Table: Gives you the ability to clear data from a range
  • Find First/Last Data Row: Enables you to find the row where data begins and ends in a range (e.g. in a Sheet)
  • For Each Excel Sheet: This lets you process each sheet in an Excel workbook.
  • Read Cell Formula: Reads the formula from a cell in an Excel spreadsheet
  • Read Cell Value: Reads the value from a cell in an Excel spreadsheet. It also includes an option to read the value as formatted by Excel (e.g. Dates, Currencies, Decimal points, etc.) or just the raw value
  • Write Range: A common request was the ability to write table data from a non-Excel source (e.g. Use “Save for Later” with the output of the “Extract Table Data” activity, then later write that to Excel). You can now do this using the newly added “Write Range” activity.
  • We also made several improvements:
    • We’ve added an output property for “Insert Sheet” that enables you to save a reference to inserted sheets. This enables you to work with dynamically named sheets (when the name is only known at runtime). Finally, we renamed “Excel For Each Row” to “For Each Excel Row” to be consistent with our other activity names
    • You can now connect to Excel files with a path that is known when you are creating the automation using “Data Manager” and reference them in your Excel activities without the need to use them inside a “Use Excel File” activity.

Mail Improvements

You can now automate Gmail and Microsoft Outlook 365 beyond just the Desktop Outlook app.

• To use Gmail, add the “Use Gmail” activity, and choose “+ Add new account…” from the Account dropdown. Currently you will be prompted for a “Client ID” and “Client Secret”. If your organization has one, you should use that, otherwise you can use the sample credentials provided by Google 7. Note: we use the protocol designed for installed applications, so you’ll need to choose the “Desktop” application type if generating your own credentials. 1 We are aware the need for your own credentials isn’t ideal and are working to remove the requirement to provide your own ID and Secret for future updates.
  • To connect directly to Outlook 365, add the “Use Outlook 365” activity, and choose “+ Add new account…” from the Account dropdown. You will be prompted for an Application ID, you should use your organization’s Azure AD application ID if available. If you do not have an organizational application ID, follow the instructions for registering your application in Azure AD 2. Notes:
    • We are working to remove the requirement for you to provide your own ID for future updates.
    • This activity only supports organizational Office 365 accounts, it does not support Outlook.com accounts

Once you have added either a Gmail or Office 365 account, same Mail activities (e.g. Send Email) work for all account types.

Note: As part of this work, the “Outlook” category was renamed to “Mail”.

Numeric Calculations

You can now do numeric calculations directly in StudioX without the need for Excel. To access this, on any input field that can accept a number, choose the “Number” entry from the menu. This will open a dialog for creating mathematical formulas. It’s also worth noting, that while you won’t receive any help or suggestions, you may use any of methods from the Visual Basic Math class in your formulas (e.g. Math.Round(,2))

Modify Text

You can now do basic text manipulation directly in StudioX projects without the need for Excel. The “Modify Text” activity lets you chain multiple modifications together and even includes the ability to test how it will behave without running the workflow. Included modifications include:

• Combine Text: Combines the input text with another value. You can choose whether the place the new value on the left or right of the existing text.
  • Find and Replace: Replaces all occurrences of the indicated text with a new value
  • Trim: Removes leading and/or trailing white space from the value
  • Text to Upper/Lowercase: Converts the text to all upper or lowercase

Additional Activities

• Save Word File As: You can now save an existing Word file currently in use as a new file. This also gives you the ability to choose a different format if needed (*.docx, *.docm, *.doc)
  • Extract/Unzip Files & Compress/Zip Files: You can now extract the files from a .zip archive using the “Extract/Unzip Files” activity (available in the “File” category) as well as create .zip archives using the “Compress/Zip Files” activity.
  • Take Screenshot: You can now take screenshots of applications/web sites using the “Take Screenshot” activity (available in the “App/Web” category). It also gives you the option to prevent naming conflicts by automatically adding the screenshot number (Index) or the timestamp (YYYY.MM.DD at HH.MM.SS) to the file name using the “Auto increment” property.
  • Group: You can now better organize your projects by placing related activities inside a “Group” activity.
  • Save for Later: You can now create values to use in future activities.
  • Input Dialog: You can now prompt for input at runtime providing a title and message for the popup window.
  • Text to Left/Right: You can now get the text to the left and right of a separator using the “Text to Left/Right” activity. This can be very useful when working with data where a field name and value are present in the same text entry (e.g. “Name: Jane Doe”, where you want to get the person’s name to the right of the colon).
  • Get Orchestrator Asset: You can now retrieve asset values from your connected Orchestrator using the “Get Orchestrator Asset” activity.

Using Variables in UI Automation Selectors

When needed, you can now use variables to help find target elements in the application you are automating.

Template authoring and sharing

You can now author and share templates for StudioX users using the “Template” project type. Templates published to a shared template feed can then be accessed and used by any StudioX user connected to the same feed.

Microsoft Office Repair Script

Microsoft Office installations can have issues which result in errors when trying to build automations with Office (especially Excel). To help with this, we now include a “Repair Tool for Microsoft Office Interop” that will attempt to repair common issues which prevent use with StudioX. The repair tool has two modes:

• Run repair actions: This will run the repair script directly on your machine
  • Create .REG file: This will create a registry file you can choose how to deploy and install. This option is useful for large organizations where users do not have admin rights on their machine, so IT needs to centrally deploy the repair actions.
  • The repair tool: is accessed from the “Apps” section of the “Tools” tab on the Home page

Upgrading Existing Projects

UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities replaced the UiPath.UIAutomationNext.Activities starting in the 20.8 release. This means there will not be a stable 20.10 version of the UiPath.UIAutomationNext.Activities. So, if your project was created prior to 20.8 you will need to:

• Open Package Manager
  • In the Project Dependencies tab find UiPath.UIAutomationNext.Activities and click “Uninstall”
  • Go to the Official node, search for UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities and click “Install”

All other package references should be upgraded to the latest stable version from the Project Dependencies node

6 Likes

Hi @AndrewHall
I’m not seeing the “Text to Left/Right” activity.
I am using the StudioX Community 2020.10

StudioX Community

Should I be able to see it from the activities here?
John.

@johnom was this project created prior to 20.10? If so, you’ll need to also your package versions to the latest stable using Package Manager. Text to Left/Right is part of the release, the but the activity itself is delivered in the UiPath.System.Activities package, so your project should be referencing 20.10.1.

Hi @AndrewHall, thanks for getting back to me.
It wasn’t created prior, I only downloaded SudioX this week and subsequently created my Project.
Just now I updated UiPath.System.Activites and I can see it on the list.

Thanks again…

Hi @AndrewHall

Not sure it’s going to be what I wanted after all.

I’m trying to pull back the text between the <> in the below email body. It’s a URL I want to use.
I though I’d be able to pull back this URL by using Text to Left/right but I’m not sure now after looking at how it works.

Any other activity out there that I can use to get this URL?

Hi @johnom, the way to do that would be to use two Text to Left/Right activities.

1. Get Text to Left/Right of the “<” the text on the right will be the beginning of the URL
  2. Get Text to Left/Right of “>” and the text to the left should be just the URL now
1 Like

Thanks @AndrewHall