"UiElement is no longer valid" when workflow starts with closed browser

Hello,

Could you please explain why my workflow gives an error when my browser is closed?

My workflow starts with opening Chrome and typing a URL into the search bar.

• If I start the workflow with Chrome already open, it opens a new Chrome window. Then it switches to the original window and types the URL in the search bar.
  • If I start the workflow without Chrome open, it opens a new Chrome window. Then within two seconds it gives the following error:

[Window Title]
Workflow Exception

[Main Instruction]
Main has thrown an exception

[Content]
Source: Browser window scope

Exception Type: InvalidUiElementException

[Expanded Information]
UiPath.Core.InvalidUiElementException: The UiElement is no longer valid —> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Invalid UI node
at UiPath.UiNodeClass.GetTopLevelWindow()
at UiPath.Core.UiElement.GetTopLevelWindow()
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at UiPath.Core.Activities.ScopeActivity.EndExecute(NativeActivityContext context, IAsyncResult result)
at UiPath.Core.Activities.AsyncNativeActivity.BookmarkResumptionCallback(NativeActivityContext context, Bookmark bookmark, Object value)
at System.Activities.Runtime.BookmarkCallbackWrapper.Invoke(NativeActivityContext context, Bookmark bookmark, Object value)
at System.Activities.Runtime.BookmarkWorkItem.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)

This is what the start of my workflow looks like:

This is the selector I am using as an input into the WindowScope activity. (There is a < symbol between the " and the html.)

“html app=‘chrome.exe’ />”

I have looked at the other threads with “UiElement is no longer valid” and I don’t think this is the same issue.
I have tried remaking the workflow with Firefox, but I’m encountering a different error there. I’d like to solve this in Chrome before figuring out other browsers.

Hi,
It’s just a matter of finding static selector.
In Typeinto all you have is just browser attribute .
You need to get address bar selector for ex: like below.

<ctrl name='main' role='tool bar' />
<ctrl name='Address and search bar' role='editable text' />

To avoid start process ,attach browser,TypeInto and selector problem you could have just used Open browser activity and just pass the URL .Work with all 3 browser :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @ddpadil, the error went away when I used the right selector.
The Open browser activity also worked and made the workflow much simpler.

1 Like