Testing and Production environment deployment on Studio, Orchestrator, Robot

Hi, I would like to check below
I have two environments, testing and production as below.
Testing environment: UiStudio x 1, Orchestrator x 1, Unattended Robot x 1, attended robot x 1
Production environment: UiStudio x 1, Orchestrator x 1, Unattended Robot x 1, attended robot x 1
Now I have build a workflow/transcript in testing environment and done the testing.
How could I export this workflow/transcript to production environment?
Export the workflow/transcript from testing environment studio and import to production environment studio then lunch to Orchestrator ? Am i correct?

1 Like

Yes, we do it that way. We house the files on Gitlab. When testing is done and git is up to date, we simply open the project from a studio tied to the production orchestrator and publish from there. Git isn’t necessary though: however you want to get the files to a location that studio can access will work.

Yes. As it is always a good practice to maintain the same package version in test and in Prod, So i would agree with your approach of exporting the package from test environment and importing to Prod.

Hi Team, I would like to check below
If i just use one Uistudio at testing environment, is it possible to deploy the package to production Orchestrator directly? Is is compatible ?

@Aaron_chan Deploying a package to production Orchestrator via studio of development/Testing Environment is not recommended. In case you want to get the latest package which was tested in Dev/Test environment then you should publish the package locally in the dev/test machine and upload it in Production Orchestrator manually. It is possible to publish the package from dev/test machine(Studio) to Production orchestrator. However it is not recommended.

1 Like

I have a question. i am new to Robotics. How to start testing the developed Bots whether it functions as expected or not? is there any step by step procedure i can get ? that will be a great great helpful for me. i am struck up as how to start testing the developed bots

Hi @MuraliV

Welcome to our UiPath Forum! :slight_smile:

You should check the Execute tab in Studio:

As well as our documentation about debugging:

This would bea good start :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the reply. I would also like to know ,can we start testing the bots in VDI machines once the developers published the process in vdi machines and the bot is ready ?

This is entirely new to me.

• What could the implications be if this is done?
  • If I only have one Orchestrator for both dev/testing and Production, is publishing from studio to orchestrator (which is the way the academy lessons cleary advocates) not recommended as well?
  • If this is the case, why is this not mentioned in the documentation?

Regards

Hi @johan.standeus

1. If you publish a package directly to production orchestrator from studio then you will see a new package version number created in the prod Orchestrator which will be confusing for you because there will not be any allignment of the package version numbers between Dev and Prod orchestrator. Hence to manitain the version across Dev/Test/Prod its recommended to take the package manually or write some code which uses API to upload a package on prod Orchestrator. As a best practice the package which is tested in Test environment should go to the prod containing the same version. Hence this recommendation.
  2. This Architecture is not recommended because if your Orchestrator server goes down for some reason then all the environments( Dev/Test/Prod) would be down. You can go with this setup when you are in POC phase but for enterprise deployement this is not recommended.
  3. This recommendation is not only in case of RPA but for any software development lifecycle. Any product which needs to be productionised should go via these 3 phases which is Developement-> Test → Production.
1 Like

Hi

I do not think that you fully understood my questions.

Anyhow.

1. No, that is not really confusing and it would not happen since I only have one Orchestrator and my question were based upon that variable.
  2. Do you advocate for having two Orchestrator licenses? 2x 20000$ a year? If this is the case, it is extremely unreasonable to say that you need to buy two very expensive licenses to have the recommended setting for using your product.
    Besides that, yes. If the orch server goes down then it does and that is of course a problem that everything IT related has, which is why redundancy is used.
  3. When did I say that we do not go through these phases? Please do not be patronizing.

My questions still stands.
If I only have one Orchestrator, which is connected to my dev/test machine and my prod machine, can anything purely technical happen that might create some errors if I publish directly from the dev/test machine? You may disregard human errors in your answer = I only want to know if something technical can happen which might cause errors if publishing is done manually.

Regards

Based on my experience, from technical point of view there shouldn’t be any problem.
The separation of prod and dev environment is more toward best practice guidelines.
Furthermore, I believe you can enforced it by enabling multi tenant feature, which the dev have their own set of robot while prod have their own set of robot.