Tenants vs Folder

Difference between Tenants & Folder ?? Explain in layman terminology.

Hey @Ashish6541

You can refer to these two links where it is explained in a easy to understand way…

Hi
Tenant is like let’s take you are in a college
And it has different departments in it
You are given a project to manage each and every department with some uipath robots
Now what we usually do is try to maintain the records, the robots, process and logs in different places in orchestrator
Those different places is called as tenants
That is a single orchestrator can have multiple tenants to organise and manage different departments within its own tenants
Like real time production we might have different departments in a firm like production, logistics, Finance, HR,Invoicing like many such
We won’t be able to maintain all of them in a single orchestrator which would be a cumbersome process
So to maintain that we access them with separate tenants in a single orchestrator

And then folders is like Folders enable you to maintain fine-grained control over automations and their intrinsic entities that includes assets, robots, , and personnel across the entire organization. There are two types of folders available in Orchestrator: Classic and Modern . Classic folders are enabled by default while the Modern folders functionality must be enabled by the Host or Tenant administrator.
Each folder type has different Orchestrator resources (e.g. Processes, Jobs, Assets) that reside within each specific folder. There are also global resources that are created at tenant level and are available across all folders of either type:

Cheers @Ashish6541

4 Likes

Hi @Lahiru.Fernando, Thanksfor your time, let me go through it. And get back to you if i need anything else to clear.

1 Like

@Ashish6541

Awesome!! I’m always here if you need anything…

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Hi @Palaniyappan – Thanks for the explanation.

I have few more question followed by this, let me ask this
1 - Tenant will have separate Queues, Robots etc. Is same applies for package, libraries ?? I meant, different tenant will have their own libraries, packages & processes ?? or they will share one single instance of these entities ??
2 - When you say folder will enable intrinsic entities like assets, robots etc. But we have user role for this, if i am not wrong. I am not sure! any more clarification on this ?? I am again confused in Folder & User role/user.

@Lahiru.Fernando - Yours inputs are welcome

1 Like

It’s like this. We use single instance of the orchestrator, but when tenants are created, tenant will have it’s own libraries, assets and queues. These will not be shared among other tenants. So single instance of the orchestrator can have multiple tenants.

For easy understanding, think of the orchestrator as a organization, and tenant as a department in the organization. Each department have their own resources and processes which will not be shared… :slight_smile:

one tenant can have multiple folders too. Think of this as separate units in a department. In a tenant, user roles provides access limitations to different aspects. But folders provide a new environment to manage and maintain the resources and processes that are required for that specific nature. This answers your second question…

Make sense?

1 Like

Of course they have their own and will be managed by the one who has access to that tenant

And for this

Usually we got two options to set a user role in orchestrator
One is global level permission and folder level
Global permissions apply to entities and settings available at tenant level and Folder permissions apply to entities within folders.

So with Users we can manage only the user creation and the access level they have towards the entities in the orchestrator

But folder can manage Robots and Environments, with all users having the role(s) assigned them at the tenant level and at host level
And it can manage

Cheers @

@Palaniyappan @Lahiru.Fernando

Hey Guys! Thanks a lot for explanations. Now I have the understanding of tenants, Folder &User/User roles.

Much appreciated.

Guys - I am not sure you will be able to clear one more thing in Orchestrator Web Config Setting query that i have posted on forum. Not found any single response. Or if you know someone who can help, then please tag.
Link: Web.Config for Activities Feed

2 Likes

Hi there,

I have got doubt on which between tenant or folder features I have to chose in my scenario, and pros and cons I could encounter.

SCENARIO:

My company A is going to start a project as supplier for a client C.
The company B has already worked for C for some others RPA project

The client C already has an istance of Orchestrator, relative licences (for bots, studios, etc.) and some live process there.

Why sould I create a new Folder structure (kind of CompanyA/myproject/…) and/or why should I prefer a new tenant (let’s say CompanyA tenant)?

Thanks a lot
Giuseppe

@Palaniyappan
Can you please help with above query by @Giuseppe_Intini. Thank you

Hi @Giuseppe_Intini @Ashish6541

Please refer to this link
Organization modeling in Orchestrator

So, the answer of selecting tenants and folders depend on your scenario.
As described in the link, tenants are used to entirely separate the data of each tenant. Useful specially when you need to have separate environments like development testing and production, or if you have one Orchestrator that is used in between multiple companies… there can be more reasons…

Folders are used to organize, for example, organize the processes and assets between different teams or departments etc…

So in your case, I think you can have your a different folder for your company to separate your work from what others have done…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.