Suggestion: Free Customizable Tool Menu in the Studio

Hello UiPath Team,

here my suggestion:

To add in the Design ribbon a custom tool menu, where I can add my personal favorite commands, to call features which are otherwise not available in the menu. In this custom tool menu should it be possible to define individual commands and with a click on it they are executed.

For example, I have huge snippet library on a network drive. When I get to a certain point in my development, I want to copy a part from the snippets into my Invoke Code activity. With a click in the custom tool menu it opens the viewer where I can get the snippet.

On this way individual commands can be called from the menu easily. This allows a higher level of integration of the Studio into the individual development landscape.

Furthermore I suggest to provide parameters of the Studio, e.g. like the path of the current project directory or the current platform (x86 or x64) of the Studio. On this way specific information of the Studio can be transferred to the individual commands.

Thanks for your effort.

Best regards
Stefan

Great suggestions @StefanSchnell. Would you mind sharing some simple mockups, nothing too fancy of course?

It would allow us to better understand what you have in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

@loginerror

Hello Maciej,
sure. My suggestion is to add in the Design ribbon an icon with Custom Tools.

If you click on this icon a menu opens with individually composed tools.

The tools in this menu could be configured in a CustomTools.inf file like this:

[Menu]
1=Command Name 1;command line 1
2=Command Name 2;command line 2

In my example it could looks like this:

[Menu]
1=PowerShell ISE;"c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell_ise.exe"
2=Notepad++;"c:\language\edit\notepad++.exe"
3=RFMCode Generator;rfmcodegen.exe
4=Window Spy++;winspy++.exe
5=Console;cmd.exe
6=Package Explorer;NuGetPackageExplorer.exe

The following example opens a console with the current directory of the project, in this case c:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\UiPath\BlankProcess1\

[Menu]
1=Open Project Folder;cmd.exe /K cd $ProjectFolder$

The following example starts a PowerShell console with a script that copies files in dependency of the Studio architecture.

[Menu]
1=Copy Files;"c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" "c:\tools\copyfiles.ps1" $Platform$

Best regards
Stefan

1 Like

Thanks! We will consider it for the future :slight_smile:

1 Like