Studio 2019.10.3 removes tag arguments from project.json (created in 2018 Studio)

Dear all,
We have moved from Studio v18.4.1 to Studio 19.10.3, and realized that UiPath Studio updated our project.json files. During this update, the “arguments” section was removed. Setting up again main does nothing. Without the “arguments” section our packages has no input parameters.
Does someone know what happened? I returned the “arguments” section manually and it worked (orchestrator shown input arguments in package), but it just a workaround.

Save your original JSON file and then input the arguments manually in UiPath Studio. You’ll need to run Main.xaml to have Studio create a new JSON file for the project. There were several changes which makes the two JSON files incompatible. There are also cases where packages will fail to work, so you will need to re-import those when rebuilding the JSON file.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried to remove old project json: no input arguments.
{
“name”: “________”,
“description”: “Blank Process”,
“main”: “Process.xaml”,
“dependencies”: {
“UiPath.Excel.Activities”: “[2.7.2]”,
“UiPath.Mail.Activities”: “[1.7.2]”,
“UiPath.System.Activities”: “[19.10.1]”,
“UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities”: “[19.11.1]”
},
“webServices”: ,
“schemaVersion”: “4.0”,
“studioVersion”: “19.10.3.0”,
“projectVersion”: “1.0.0”,
“runtimeOptions”: {
“autoDispose”: false,
“isPausable”: true,
“requiresUserInteraction”: true,
“supportsPersistence”: false,
“excludedLoggedData”: [
“Private:*”,
password
],
“executionType”: “Workflow”
},
“designOptions”: {
“projectProfile”: “Developement”,
“outputType”: “Process”,
“libraryOptions”: {
“includeOriginalXaml”: false,
“privateWorkflows”:
},
“fileInfos”:
},
“expressionLanguage”: “VisualBasic”
}

The question is if project.json still includes “arguments” section or inputs have to be extracted directly from main xaml?

I believe this is all handled in the JSON file, but with a different format. The best way to test this is to recompile the JSON file and enter the arguments in through Studio. Then compare the JSON files. Next, to make sure that only the JSON file determines if the arguments are supplied, supply the arguments as written in the new JSON file without using UiPath Studio. Then test if the process now reads the arguments correctly.

I suspect that the arguments are still coming from Main.xaml, so you will need to update both, but this may not be the case.

Project.json file was created by Studio 2019.10.3.
Also I have created new file and set it as main. Project.json now has is as “main”, but still no process input arguments:
{
“name”: “”,
“description”: “Blank Process”,
“main”: “Sequence.xaml”,
“dependencies”: {
“UiPath.Excel.Activities”: “[2.7.2]”,
“UiPath.Mail.Activities”: “[1.7.2]”,
“UiPath.System.Activities”: “[19.10.1]”,
“UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities”: “[19.11.1]”
},
“webServices”: ,
“schemaVersion”: “4.0”,
“studioVersion”: “19.10.3.0”,
“projectVersion”: “1.0.0”,
“runtimeOptions”: {
“autoDispose”: false,
“isPausable”: true,
“requiresUserInteraction”: true,
“supportsPersistence”: false,
“excludedLoggedData”: [
“Private:*”,
password
],
“executionType”: “Workflow”
},
“designOptions”: {
“projectProfile”: “Developement”,
“outputType”: “Process”,
“libraryOptions”: {
“includeOriginalXaml”: false,
“privateWorkflows”:
},
“fileInfos”:
},
“expressionLanguage”: “VisualBasic”
}

From the looks of it, input arguments are now read from the main file, since these are visible in the Main file with a newly created project. Not sure why the change in UiPath, but it looks like you won’t need the input arguments in the JSON file for the 2019 version.

Maybe, but unfortunately UiPath Orchestrator (2019.10.16) is not able to see input arguments without this section.

For now, it looks like you’ll need to add the arguments manually then. However, if the arguments aren’t being populated in the JSON file after recompiling everything, I would consider this a bug and should be reported to the UiPath team. You shouldn’t be required to do this manual workaround, but it looks like for now it’s the only option.

1 Like

Thanks, just wanted to check that I am not missing something.