Hello to all!
Days before today I had the following reported error in the PRODUCTION environment:
The procedure for the deployment of the robots in the Production environment are Upload the package to the Orchestrator, create the Process, Triggers and finally, we open the UiRobot, download the package in the Local and Execute the robot to discard any error of environment.
It is just in this last step that the error appeared (attached image).
We make multiple validations:
- Validation of permissions in the VM where the robots are executed (everything was OK).
- Validation of permissions at service level (everything was OK).
- Validation of uipath ports (everything was OK).
- Validation of the url: www.myget.org (everything was OK).
- We detected that some packages were not downloaded in the path: C:\Users\XXX.nuget\packages. Specifically the package shown in the image (not found). The action we took was to copy packages from other environments and paste them but it still didn’t work. (Discard this action).
Finally we validated that UiPath Studio was installed in the Production environment, so we performed the following successful steps that solved the problem:
- The project folder (where Main.xalm is located) was copied to the Production environment.
- The project was opened with UiPath Studio.
- When opening UiPath Studio, it automatically downloaded the package and component updates.
- We ran with the Studio and it worked.
- We executed with UiRobot and it worked.
This problem, when it appeared, I looked for information in the forum and found only PROXY validation, port validation, internet, permissions, but I think there is very little information when something like this happens. That’s why I upload the following information.
I hope it helps you if you have a case similar to mine.