SMALL WORKFLOW SIZE

As we recommend to have smaller workflow to avoid out of memory exception. Can I know how it will avoid out of memory exception as my workflow would still be in memory.
Even if I have smaller workflows, it would keep all the resources in memory as part of my process execution.
I understand in terms of readability and maintainability its important, but how it would impact the performance? Can someone explain me in terms of memory management done my workflow runtime?

Nice article…

One of the clear trends to notice in this graph is that nesting has relatively minimal impact on memory usage in both WF3 and WF4. The most significant memory impact comes from the number of activities in a given workflow. Given the data from the sequence 1000, complex depth 5 sequence 5, and complex depth 7 sequence 1 variations, it is clear that as the number of activities enters the thousands, the memory usage increase becomes more noticeable. In the extreme case (depth 7 sequence 1) where there are ~29K activities, WF4 is using almost 79% less memory than WF3.