Send input to background process

Hello All,

I am sure that there is a very high demand to have an option to send input to background process:

1. Best case would be to create new UIpath activity to be able to identify application running in background using UI Explorer and send scancode keystroke input. (Hope is that scancode can simplify Validation process)
  2. Additional option to create activity that just can generate scancode keystroke combination.

UIPath Team we hope you can create this activity soon.

Regards,
River

Hi @river1

Could you explain your scenario a bit more?

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve.

Hi @loginerror

Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you for the follow up.

The original request was intended to send hotkey on application in background without bringing application to foreground. I tried different ways but it did not work. In addition periodically I received a Java Error messages.

I solved this issue by changing the flowchart of my process using a mouse click.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: I marked it as completed because we do have this functionality in the form of Simulate and SendWindowsMessages options of the UiAutomation activities, such as Click or Type Into (which allow you to interact with processes that are in the background).

1 Like

Hi I am still face this issue can you please help me on this.send hot key not working background

Couple ways it worked for me. But both required temporally bring application to foreground and after execution send back to background.

1. Keyboard only.
    a. Bring application forward using TaskBar key sequence: hold key “Windows icon” + “number application icon”.
    b. Send Hot Key Sequence"
    (To prevent key “sticking” use detailed events sequence: “key down”, “key up”, etc)
    c.Send application in background.

2. Mouse and Keyboard.
    a. Create shortcut icon on Desktop.
    b. Use mouse to bring application to foreground application.
    c. Send Hotkey sequence.
    d. Use mouse to send application to the background.

3. Mouse only (That was best solution for me)

Proper way is to use scancode - keyboards driver codes mapped to each of the key. But characters set could be different for different keyboards manufacturer. It is require a expertise to find out scancode characters. I could not make ti working.

River