Selectors cannot be found after windows updates (windows server 2016)

studio

#1

Hi Everybody,

I have been working with the UIpath robot and studio on a Windows 2016 RDP server. This has worked great till i installed some Windows updates yesterday.

After installing the updates and rebooting, the robot is not able to find elements and selectors that used to work. I also find that i have to switch between UI framework (between default and UI automation) to find the correct element.

When executing the process, the robot will say it cannot find the element that i have just specified.

Is there anybody who has had the same problems? or recognizes it?

updates installed:
2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4462917).
2018-10 Security UPdate (KB3200970)

The application we use is Microsoft Dynamics, navision client.

thanks!


#2

Hi,

I deployed a new server without the latest updates to check the elements in the element explorer.
One of the elements i use is the explorer shortcut in the taskbar.

After installing windows updates UIpath was not able to find the element.
On the server without the windows updates i can identify the element with the default framework. It shows the following selector:




On the server with the updates installed it cannot find this element with the default framework. It can only see the entire taskbar as an element:
<wnd app='explorer.exe' cls='Shell_TrayWnd' />
<wnd cls='MSTaskSwWClass' title='Running applications' />
<wnd cls='MSTaskListWClass' title='Running applications' />

When i use the UI automation framework it can see the explorer shortcut seperate from the taskbar, but with a different selector:
<wnd app='explorer.exe' cls='Shell_TrayWnd' />
<uia cls='MSTaskListWClass' name='Running applications' />
<uia automationid='Microsoft.Windows.Explorer' name='File Explorer' role='button' />

So i guess this is not really a UIpath problem, but the windows updates changed the elements.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Is there a way to fix this? other then uninstalling the windows updates?


#3

Hi JAD

We have the exact same problem.
We installed the update KB4462917 yesterday and now UiPath cannot communicate with IE or Chrome.

Anyone who knows what to do?


#4

Hi @Coolbox,

Unfortunatly i haven’t found a solution to the problem yet. After installing the the windows updates the UI element explorer just identified certain screen and application elements completely different.
Installing the lastest version of UIpath also did not help.

I have not raised a ticket with support yet, but that might be worth doing.

Because we are in a pilot phase with UIpath i installed a new server without the update so we can continue for now.

sorry i cannot be of any more help.
If you do find a solution, please let me know! :slight_smile:

-JAD


#5

Hi JAD

We have raised a ticket on it and had a short talk with one of the supporters from UiPath today. She said that they are aware that windows updates can change the behavior of UiPath and they are working on it.
Her suggestion was to uninstall the patch but that is difficult for us right now.

I suggest that you raise a ticket with as much information as possible, so that UiPath knows that it is a general problem :wink:


#6

I have been trying to fix this issue for a long time and even had discussion with UiPath development and support teams. But no solutions as of now. Even though I have not found a solution, I feel this issue has something to do with the environment. I say this because I created multiple servers and some servers worked fine but some did not. All servers were updated to the latest but when I checked the ones that worked had more updates than the other servers. Let me lead you guys to the possibility of some windows updates being blocked or corrupted due to some security policies.
Also try copying oleaccrc.dll, oleacc.dll and oleacchooks.dll from “C:\Windows\System32” in working system and paste to " C:\Windows\System32" of not working system and register them.

Also try Reinstall .net framework

I also noticed that uninstall of updates does not work. Restore and formatting works though.

Please let me know if this worked for you. If something else worked please share here as no one has come up with a solution for this issue.


#7

Hi @antony

thanks for your reply! I tried your suggetions.

reinstall .net framework did not solve the problem for me.
I am not able to replace the DLL files. They are protected system files. So i cannot confirm if that solves the problem.

I have created a support case just now as well.