Running two FOR on the same machine

Hello,

Could you please let me know your answer for the below points-

Can we run two FOR at the same time from the operator machine?
How does parallel processing happens ?
Thanking you

Hi Ashutosh,

You can run two Robots FROM your machine on two different machines(via Orchestrator).
You cannot have two different Robots on the same machine, therefore you cannot run two different processes ON the same machine.

What do you mean by parallel processing? Jobs running in parallel?

2 Likes

Just to add, you can run two different jobs in parallel on the same machine only if you use different user accounts for each job. However, Windows 7/10 only let’s you log in 1 user at a time, so unless you use an unsupported workaround, you would need to use Windows Server to allow more than 1.

1 Like

Thanks for your response.
For Example:
If i’m running one process, where is it required to access one legacy application and at the same time one web portal needs to be opened for downloading some documents.
So my question is, for the same robot for that process can I design in a way where once I start the robot it splits into two operation like on one hand it will open and process the legacy application and on another, the same time it can open one web portal to download one document and somewhere in local machine?
Do you see any challenge to this?
Can you please provide your suggestion?

1 Like

You can try to use the Parallel activity with an Invoke Workflow for each task. I’m just not sure how well it will work. For example, if your tasks require stuff to be typed/clicked and where the window needs to be seen, then that could conflict with another task that needs the same requirements.

I haven’t played around with Parallel tasks enough to give a good answer on that. I do know that you need to use the Invoke when you do it though, cause I believe each side of the Parallel activity alternates, so it does one activity on one side then does the next activity on the other side.

Regards.

1 Like

Actually it can be sequential work as its operation is very fast. I every think about it before and it turns to be sequential.

Hi

Parallel activity execute one activity at once. Though activity name itself says parallel activity but it will execute one activity at once based on the visibility of that particular activity.

Coming to your question, if you want to process two things at a time means you have to go with a multi bot concept which means, make one bot as admin bot and try to access the multiple bots with that. In your case 3 bots come into picture.
1st bot is admin bot which access the 2 bots
2nd bot is to process legacy application
3rd bot is for web process

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, restricting one robot per machine seems to be disadvantageous. What is the reason for this restriction? Are there any specific advantages for having it this way? If someone has a need for 10 different robots (differentiated on function) in his company, but has only 5 machines that use them, how will he make room for them or solve this problem without making design compromises?

Hi @Alistair_Bangera

The basic logic (and restriction) behind one robot per user session is the fact that Robot needs to interact with the entire user environment and two robots running on one user session would potentially break each other’s workflows.

However, it is possible to have more robots on one machine. It is then called high-density environment and requires Windows Server installation to support multiple user sessions on specific machine. You can read more about it here:
https://robot.uipath.com/docs/about-high-density-robots

This is an intentional design restriction to allow your processes to be as robust as possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! This helps in understanding why this is the case.