RPA Development - Deep dive into Agile methodology and Best practices

Hi everyone,
Just wanted your inputs on how to best manage RPA projects in Agile way. What kind of tools do you use to track daily progress, any sample template for sprint planning etc.
I’ve seen how Agile works for software development but unable to visualize the same for RPA.

I have read some posts on this topic but wanted to open a discussion to deep dive into it.

Thanks

1 Like

This is a great question, I’ll try to not be too subjective nor too utopic.

We have to keep in mind agile is a methodology and absolutely nothing is written in stone and once you know the rules you will know how to break them to the benefit of your project.

So…What I’ve learned about agile approaches in RPA?

• Adopt a framework not only for coding but for testing and deploying, this will help shape your deliveries

• The change of mindset is key, the client needs to understand what is required from them to become agile (authorizing application accesses, process optimization, etc.)

• Set up a deployment pace and delimit the scope, is better to add 10% functionality every 2 weeks than trying to do 100% in 8 weeks and fail, sell to your stakeholders the benefit of an incremental automation which will start saving FTE time from first deploy. For example if your process involves data extraction from a system and generate pdf reports, you can deploy 2 components and have the end users benefit from a 50% automation while the next component is being built.

• Like a software development project, a balanced team makes the difference. Think of architects, analysts, developers and testers, each one with clear, well defined tasks and goals also a good balance between juniors and seniors.

• Set a standup pace, I personally dislike having daily standups I prefer weeklies. As a rule of thumb the smaller your team is the less frequent your stand ups, is lame to have weekly standups where everyone says I’m currently working on the development of X component

• Retrospectives can’t stress this enough.

What else can bring benefit:

• Peer reviews
  • CI/CD pipelines
  • Automated testing
  • Learning to say “no” to stakeholders (with clear fundaments, in a professional way)

Tools I’ve used, might fall into the realm of devops:

Project management and story tracking

• Jira
  • Azure DevOps
  • Monday
  • Pipefy

CI/CD

• Jenkins
  • Azure DevOps

Version Control

• GIT
  • SVN
1 Like

Hi Edwin! I had a question regarding peer reviews. Our team currently opens a pull request and another developer checks out the branch, opens the project in Studio and goes file by file for each updated file comparing them with their previous version/changes. We then add comments and feedback to the PR. So far it works for us, as it gives us a similar experience to peer reviews for traditional programming languages. But it can get tedious and lengthy at times as UiPath might show more changes than actually happened, such as a sequence being collapsed/moved, etc. how do you/your team handle peer reviews? TIA

Hey Derrick,

Glad to share my input. Currently, I’m working with a smaller team where we have limited bandwidth within our daily tasks, so we automated most of our code standards review with custom rules in workflow analyzer then the developer and reviewer have a walkthrough of the implementation of the business rules to provide specific feedback.

Happy automation :robot:

Hi All,
Thank you for bringing this question. At present our team is usually do the development for SAP processes. Want to understand if the report extraction automation from SAP can be broken down into modules for deployment and understand the fails much earlier before.
Currently we divide the process into dispatcher and performer, where for the work in dispatcher the BOT reads the documents from shared path/email etc and add those to the queue. The 2nd job which is the performer job, BOT performs the action within SAP.
My ask is if the Performer part can be deployed in agile way