Replace special charater to em-dash

I am viewing a report in an application with the string as “Associate Director Quality Value Stream Lead - Bul”. But when I export that data to report and download it as a csv file (default downloading as csv file) I am seeing the string as “Associate Director Quality Value Stream Lead – Bul”.

I am trying to replace the special characters " – " with “”. But I am unable to do so.

I am unable to replace that single double quote available in the string. If you observe closely that single double quote is not similar to keyboard double quote.

I tried with string.replace(“–”,“-”) , it gave me an error saying double quote has to be provided.
So I tried replacing individually, i.e first string.replace(“—,“”) and then string.replace(chr(34),“-”).

Still no Luck. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Eswar

Hi,

Can you try the following?

System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(text,"[^A-Za-z0-9 ]+","-")

This expression replace except alphanumeric and whitespace to “-”.
If you need to add characrter to replace, please add character inside [^ and ].

Regards,

You see — due to issues with encoding. You can you the below to replace any non-ascii characters (so it will still allow for ascii special characters like *()!@#$ etc…) with a space
System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(input,"([^\x00-\x7F]+)","")

@jack.chan thanks for your reply.
Your regex is working fine.
Actually I want to replace that those non-ascii charaters to their respective symbols.
In this case — represents a em-Hyphen, I am replacing it with a em-hyphen.
But I might get a non-ascii charaters other than —. i think we need to find a way on fixing the string format rather than replacing.

Any thoughts?
-Eswar

What application are you using to download the csv file? Is it SAP?

could you try to download your csv file as utf-8 format? Or save your csv as utf-8 format?

It’s not SAP. The file is downloading with just one click. I am unable to do download the file via save as.

I tried to save the file as utf-8 but still it is giving me same string.

-Eswar

can you export it as something other than csv? like xlsx? and are you able to change the export settings of your application to be utf-8 format?

Found the resolution. I used read csv activity instead of read range activity and provided the encoding format as utf-8 in the properties.

I am getting the expected result.

Thank you for your inputs though. I appreciate your help.

Regards,
Eswar

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.