Read pdf without saving

Hi,

I was wondering if you could read inside an attachment from an incoming mail. I want to filter mails by attachments (.pdf) that contains a specific word inside them without to save them.

Is that possible? If so, how?

Thanks

Hi,

You can add this filter to the filter field in the outlook activity “[Attachment]=’*.pdf’”

Thank you Robertson! Now i only need a way to filter the .pdf files with a specific word inside them

do you mean specific word within the name of that file? if yes adjust the wildcard to accomodate and include that word

They mean a specific word within the pdf document

@cmrobertson I mean a specific word inside the text of the document (.pdf)
@Jersey_Practical_Sho Exactly

The only way I can think of would be to go through the UI of your email application. For example, if you are using Outlook you could navigate to the email, click the attachment, then click Open instead of Save. You could then attach the window where the PDF opens (e.g. Adobe Reader or Internet Explorer, depending on what you have as your default program for PDFs), search whether the word is in the document, and exit.

Not a very clean solution for sure. It will be slow and will take some work to make it reliable, but I don’t believe there is any way to read attachments directly from an email.

You would almost certainly be better off just using the Save Attachments activity to a temp directory then reading the files from there. This would be much faster and more reliable, and you could just delete the directory after you’re done.

Thank you @michael.new, That’s the answer I was looking for

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.