Read-only access to workbooks that are already open in Excel?

I would like the workbook acitivities to be able to read from files that are already opened in Excel. This is not possible when using Read range activities etc. Since they only need to read from the workbook, they could be able to access the file through read-only in some way?

This would make it easier to read data from Excel while working in studio at the same time without having to close the workbook each time before running the workflow.

Works fine if you’re using the App Integration->Excel activities (ExcelScope) instead of File->Workbook

Yes I know but that’s another type of integration. I want to use the file access activity, it’s much simpler.

This is not a biggy! Just something you can add to the Backlog :slight_smile:

Even ExcelScope requires that the “already open” Excel file has a path on disk though, right?

My problem is that I want to “attach” to an already open Excel file that was generated in real-time via some kind of web push. In my case… an Excel file that resulted from a web action is open, not opened from a physical file path on the disk.
excel-scope

Hi @octechnologist

I don’t think this is currently supported. An obvious workaround would be to temporarily save the file.

I will log this as a request for an improvement :slight_smile:

Obvious indeed :wink:

The problem I was facing is that the this generated Excel file originates from an XML format that is totally confusing the local instance of Excel, and actually preventing any of the Save functionality from working.

Oddly enough… it is not possible to save the file! That was a new one for me.