Problem with Use Application/Browser activity (NApplicationCard) - doesn't work unattended

Hi All,

I occurred a weird problem, and I think it might be a bug. On some point in time I switched to modern design experience in studio. When I wanted to extract data from web table, I couldn’t do it in previously available Browser Scope, so I used the extraction tool, and noticed that the activity responsible for extraction appeared inside Use Application/Browser (NApplicationCard). At the beginning everything worked fine, but when I tested my process unattended I noticed that I’m getting timeout for Use Application/Browser Activity when it tried to intercept the existing Internet Explorer window.
I’ve tried switching between Simulation, Hardware, Window Messages input methods, but no luck for any of them.
Finally I have found two work-arrounds:
1.Forcing Use Application/Browser activity to open new Internet Explorer window, instead intercepting the existing one - it wasn’t a perfect solution, because I had to reimplement some additional logic first to get to the window I needed.
2.Switching back to normal (not modern) design experience, and using the extraction tool available there.
Maybe above two solutions will help somebody too.
Anyway, I’m guessing that the fact that Use Application/Browser (NApplicationCard) activity doesn’t intercept existing Internet Explorer window unattended for any possible configuration of input method means that there is some bug in this activity.

Hello @Tomasz_Pudelewicz!

It seems that you have trouble getting an answer to your question in the first 24 hours.
Let us give you a few hints and helpful links.

First, make sure you browsed through our Forum FAQ Beginner’s Guide. It will teach you what should be included in your topic.

You can check out some of our resources directly, see below:

  1. Always search first. It is the best way to quickly find your answer. Check out the image icon for that.
    Clicking the options button will let you set more specific topic search filters, i.e. only the ones with a solution.

  2. Topic that contains most common solutions with example project files can be found here.

  3. Read our official documentation where you can find a lot of information and instructions about each of our products:

  4. Watch the videos on our official YouTube channel for more visual tutorials.

  5. Meet us and our users on our Community Slack and ask your question there.

Hopefully this will let you easily find the solution/information you need. Once you have it, we would be happy if you could share your findings here and mark it as a solution. This will help other users find it in the future.

Thank you for helping us build our UiPath Community!

Cheers from your friendly
Forum_Staff

Hey @Tomasz_Pudelewicz,

This should work fine.
Can you give more details on the scenario that you are testing?
Even maybe share the workflows (with Modern & non-Modern approach).

Thanks.

EDIT 1: Sorry for the bump, I hadn’t noticed the topic was silent for two months already

I had the same issue, only using Chrome instead of IE. I noticed that when I have a mstsc connection open to the server, it worked fine, but when I was not logged in, suddenly I got the time-out errors. I updated Chrome (from a very recent version to the most recent) and the problem hasn’t appeared since.

I’ll try to remember to come back here after a few robot runs to share my experience. In case I forget and you really wanted to know: remind me by mention or DM plz :slight_smile:

EDIT 2: My next step to debug would have been to increase the time-out argument on the Use Application/Browser activity (default is 30s). I had some success in similar cases in the past by simply putting a Delay activity for 60s after starting the application and before attaching/using it. Down side is that the robot now always waits for 60s. If I would’ve used time-out it would wait for as long as needed until 60s is reached. So whenever the application is available (whether it takes 1, 30, or 59 seconds) the robot will continue. This is clearly the better solution :slight_smile: