How to troubleshoot while performing an upgrade of Orchestrator from 2018.1 to 2019.4.x, it fails with error "an error has occurred while upgrading the web.config file" ?
From the error “an error has occurred while upgrading the web.config file” – it is inferred that there is a problem with the web.config file.
The best approach is :
1) Comparing the web.config file which is causing issue with the web.config file from a fresh installation.
2) Generate the verbose logs while doing the Orchestrator upgrade. The command below can be used to generate the verbose logs.
msiexec /i “C:\MyPackage\Example.msi” /L*V “C:\log\example.log”
- In the current situation the verbose logs indicates that the upgrade process was unable to apply the config transformation for the Monitoring NLog Target.
- The observation was that the web.config file had a "rules" the value "Orchestrator.Quartz.*" as mentioned below and shared in the screenshot below.
<logger name="Orchestrator.Quartz.*" minlevel="Info" writeTo="eventLogQuartz" />
- However, the default value which would ideally exists with a fresh installation "Quartz.*" as mentioned in the screenshot.
<logger name="Quartz.*" minlevel="Warn" writeTo="eventLogQuartz" final="true" />
- Replace the "Orchestrator.Quartz*" to "Quartz.*" resolves this issue.