Orchestrator / attended bots

Hello,

We are attempting to setup attended and unattended bots across the organization. One way, of course, for attended bots is to install UiPath Studio and load the script and play it / run it and script will perform the job on that machine.

Another way would be to connect the robot to centralized Orchestrator (sandbox), publish the script on that machine via UiPath Studio and then give access to users in Orchestrator to run the scripts / schedule the scripts - etc. Reason behind is that we do not want users to have access to actual scripts, make a change by mistake (since they have to open it in Studio to run it), break the script and then call us for support.

With that approach, if I had 1 Orchestrator license with zero unattended bots and 1 license for Studio - would that work from licensing perspective? Or do I have to have 1 Orchestrator license with 1 unattended bot and 1 Studio license?

Any other ideas?

PS. I’ve heard there was “EXE” file that could be used to run on the machine instead of actual studio, but they said this was old and no longer is produced?

you are miss informed :slight_smile:

Robot.exe is the program that runs the things you make in studio.
Just install robob.exe only (using the uipath platform installer) on your user machines, and when they need to excecute a WF, make them run a .bat file that startes robot.exe with /file
more info here: Arguments Description

As for licening you need 1 studio license (per developer) and 1 licence pr machine (multiple users) or user (multiple machines) where you install robot.exe
If you want ORC you of cause need a license for that as well, but it is only needed for unattended robots or want greater control/audit of your robot “army” :slight_smile:

Thanks Konrad.

Link on the exe I’ve mentioned:

As for the explanation of Robot.exe - I was aware of that of course, however I don’t think this answers the question.

Let me re-ask by expanding the question:

Lets say I plan to build 100 different scripts. I have Orchestrator with zero Unattended bots and 100 UiPath Studio licenses. Can I publish 100 different scripts and on each VDI machine move one script for Robot and then control all 100 robots with that Orchestrator.

OR

I have to have Orchestrator with 100 Unattended bots instead?

Hi Kemal,

First, when you said “scripts” i assume you’re talking about Studio projects. And i also assume you’re using the 2017.1 version, so my answer will be based on that. So let’s take them one by one.

Studio is for development so you don’t need 100 Studio licenses. In most of the cases the development is done on a machine(or a few, but not 100).

If you have zero Unattended in Orchestrator it means you cannot provision your robots, so there is no way to manage/control them with Orchestrator. And there is no point on having Unattended license without Orchestrator.

Best practice here would be to have 100 Unattended bots in Orchestrator. From the Studio machine you publish your projects and then you will be able to run on all the Robots provisioned in Orchestrator.

Why publish from 100 different machines when you can publish from one(or at least a few, much less than 100)? After you publish from Studio you will be able to deploy the process in Orchestrator on a certain Environment. And based on how you’ve grouped your Robots in Environments you can run that process on a certain number of Robots.

When you request Community Edition from UiPath website you will get the .exe file(Free to use in academia, nonprofits and small businesses with an annual turnover of less than $1 million or 250 workstations.). For the .msi, you’ll request the Free Trial(For large companies starting their RPA projects and looking to scale their robot deployments in the future.) The difference between the two installers is explained here: What is the definition of UiPath Community Edition / CE? - #3 by ovi

If you have any more questions on this topic, feel free to ask.

Thanks Ovi

My explanation on 100 Studio Licenses was to further explain the ask, which you’ve done by answering

Now on the “EXE” question - you’ve miss-understood so let me ask another way.

I’m building one Studio Project, that will, once done, be executed by different department / business unit withing the organization. The only way I can think of that this will work is by installing the Studio on their sandbox machine and them opening .xaml file and clicking run.

Now, i this process if they by some curies luck disconnect one of the “lines” or delete one of the “activities” I will be called to fix it. So, once I publish the project, is there away for me to hand off to them EXE file which then can click to execute the script? OR, it has to be through Studio?

Thanks again for first part of the answer!

Hello @Kemal

Sorry if i misunderstood your question :frowning:
However i still feel like the question you are asking (about the exe file), should be explained by the following:

If this doesn’t answer your question, can you please clairfy why not?

Example of script to start workflow, made for the purpose of this example.
This .vbs file can be copied into the folder containing the main workflow, and then just doubleclick to run.
If you want to start it from somewhere else, you can change command_xaml = “full path to main.xaml here”

Set getDirectoryObject = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
sScriptDir = getDirectoryObject.GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName)

command_exe = "<FULL PATH THE ROBOT.EXE HERE>"
command_xaml = sScriptDir + "\Main.xaml"

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run chr(34) & command_exe & chr(34) & "/file:" & chr(34) & command_xaml & chr(34) , 0, False

@ovi Would this be something you could consider implementing into studio?
A button to generate a user-friendly 1-click-to-start file with a direct path to the current main file?
It would be very handy for new programmers making attended robots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Konrad,

You example still requires Robot.exe to be installed on users machine, then we create a BAT file that would then execute the project via command line - which would then in turn run the script.

My ask was, like in VB, when you publish a project, you get an EXE file that user can click and your project executes. At one point, as it seems based on the link I’ve posted earlier, this existed with UiPath. Where, I would publish my project in UiPath Studio, and then go to a folder, grab project_name.exe and share this with whoever wants to run that automation (no need to install UiPath Robot or Studio).

Hope this explains.

Spot on - that is the ask! Then only challenge here would be the “Path” - which would mean I have to install that.

Ideally, once I publish the project, I should have almost like an installer - user clicks on the EXE file, in background we install all DLL files necessary for UiPath including Robot.exe, we create an icon on desktop called my_project_automation (or anything we wish, and that is it) - next time they want to run attended bot, they click on the installed icon and automation runs as many times as they need it.

ahhh i see, Indeed that explains.
Thank you for the clarification. :slight_smile:

I have no solution for you :frowning:
I would imagine that the solution you are asking for would break the UiPath License model (running workflows on machines without a license), so I would not except this to be implemented.