Learning is a process that never stops. Every journey we get on board starts by learning. Learning gives you the knowledge, and applying the knowledge you gained gives you experience.
UiPath Academy is a great resource to learn the basics and advanced functionalities of the UiPath platform and RPA as a whole. Have you ever wondered where we can find resources to apply the knowledge to gain experience in the world of RPA?
Finally… that resource we all were waiting for is now available…
UiPath now provides an RPA Use Case Repository …
Every beginner who starts with RPA look for use cases.
Why do they look for use cases?
Automation is not similar to building software applications. Every automation solution is associated with a specific business process. Hence, building automation solutions also require some level of understanding of such business processes and applications used. A beginner (anyone starting on their RPA journey or someone joining a specific project) could benefit from knowing the use cases that are out there.
Exploring similar use cases or a use case of specific interest could help them understand:
- Similar automation projects people have done on the same domain
- Software applications used and how the RPA CoE (Center of Excellence) team addressed the application-specific challenges
- What are the process-specific problems/ challenges addressed in other use cases and the approaches to resolve them by standardizing or automating
- What was the approach taken to automate the process (Proposed solution)
- Technologies used to automate it? (UiPath Apps/ AI Center/ Studio etc)
- Benefits gained after applying the automated solution
- Skill levels needed to perform a similar automation
Knowing the above could help better understand similar processes and apply or use the same concepts around the targetted process to implement a successful automation solution. Further, researching automation projects similar to your project would help you better prepare for the skills needed before starting the actual automation.
For anyone who wishes to look for sample use cases, UiPath Use Case Repository is the best place to search for verified and quality content. The repository consists of use cases submitted by community contributors. The repo has just been announced (14-May-2021) ; hence it still contains a limited number of use cases. However, it will continue to grow day by day with the increasing number of submissions.
All use cases submitted to the repository are verified and checked for quality by an expert panel before publishing.
The Use Case Repository enables you to look for real-world use cases that community members have developed. The Use Case page allows you to search by the domain, UiPath products involved, and all skill levels. Each could include the following information depending on the ability to share the information publicly.
- Category/ Domain the use case is built to
- A detailed process description
- UiPath products used in the automation solution
- Other software applications, databases, remote desktop applications used
- The To-be process flow diagram (Optional. You may also find use cases without the diagrams due to privacy reasons)
- Additional resources that you can include
Any community member can submit new use cases. We learn a lot from the community by sharing knowledge. Everything we know today is because of the community. Hence, offering use cases is a great way to contribute to the community as a UiPath MVP or a community member.
Maintaining the quality of the content in the repository is very important as the repository is used by beginners and whoever wants to explore the RPA world. Hence, always make sure you provide quality content in the best possible way to help everyone.
Higher the quality, higher the value for our community.
Consider the following when submitting your use cases. I have also given an example for each section.
The Title of the use case should describe the context of the use case in short and simple words.
Classifying and extracting data from semi-structured documents for review and downstream system updates
Select all the correct categories that relate to your process. Assigning the category will help the users to find more related use cases.
Make it as descriptive as possible. As a best practice, try to give a little bit of background on the process. Providing more details on the process helps the reader to understand the following about the process.
- Process description (a bit of background and why they perform this function/ process)
- The stakeholders involved in the As-Is process
- Steps carried out at high-level (include the detail steps in the As-Is diagram)
- Current issues in the process
- Include the challenges you faced in general in building the solution
- Describe a bit about the RPA solution you proposed for the process
- What they want to achieve by automating it.
- Do not make the description too long. Keep it simple, split into multiple paragraphs to improve readability, and include all the possible information that you can share.
Providing the most detailed information may be a challenge due to privacy concerns. Hence, adhere to the following guidelines.
- Do not mention any company names.
- Do not mention any steps or actions specific to the company that shouldn’t be shared in public.
- If internally built software applications are used, ensure that you do not mention the exact software name. Instead, note whether it is an ERP application/ web application/ desktop application, etc.
- Do not mention any names of people involved in the As-Is/ To-Be process.
- If you are from a specific company that would like to share use cases as a part of the community contribution of the company, please attach the consent of the company management on sharing the information in public.
Example of a process description:
The finance department of a company is handling incoming documents such as invoices, purchase orders, and utility bills. A team of three people manage the incoming documents on a daily basis. The documents are sent in different formats such as PDF, scanned images and photographs. Some of the documents may also contain handwritten information. Further, in PDF files, the PDF document may contain more than one document. The finance team go through these documents, reorder them according to the type of the document, and the company/ person who shared the file into a shared drive. If the PDF file contains multiple types of documents, the team also splits the file based on the above descrived criteria.
The purpose of reordering the documents is to ease out the downstream activities and maintain clear references on the documents. Further, they extract key information from different documents, and send it to approval based on few business logics. The approvals are done my their immediate manager. Few of the busniess rules require reaching out to the person who sent the document to obtain more information, or fix errors in case there are any issues. Once the verification is done, the data is stored in two different applications. Purchase order information is stored in SAP, and another internally developed web-based ERP system for their tracking purposes. However, the details of the invoices, and utility bills are stored only in the internal ERP system.
Challenge in the existing process is that there is a lot of manual effort involved due to the data volume, and the processing required. Further, the business team complains about data accuracy issues, and delays in downstream activities due to delays in data entry and approval.
The proposed RPA solution captures all incoming documents by monitoring a specified email account. All the received documents are downloaded into a specified folder and passed into a Document Understanding process to classify and extract the required information. The robot automatically performs the validation of the extracted data and business logic. The users are only notified in case the robot require manual intervention in deciding what actions to perform according to the business rules. The robot further process the data by updating the downstream SAP and internal ERP system automatically.
Select all the UiPath products you used to automate the solution you came up with for the process.
UiPath Studio | Action Center | AI Center | Document Understanding | Data Manager | Data Services
Include only the names of the applications you used. Further, ensure you do not mention application names particular to the company. Instead, state whether it is an ERP, Finance application, etc.
SAP, Excel, Internal web-based ERP application, Outlook Email
Providing the diagrams is not mandatory. However, we recommend providing at least the possible details as it helps to understand the process more clearly. Ensure the provided diagrams give a high-level idea of the entire process to anyone looking at it.
Do not make the diagram too complicated.
You can refer to the following samples to get an idea:
- Diagram sample template: Click Here
Additional use case links to refer to how the diagrams represent the process.
Feel free to submit your version of the diagram as well. But, Ensure you adhere to the same guidelines by not providing any company names, internal information, etc.
We all learn from somewhere. You would have found exciting resources to familiarize yourself with the technical and process-specific topics during your project.
It would be an excellent benefit for the community to share the publicly available resources that you referred. Such resources can be:
- UiPath Academy courses
- YouTube videos
- Articles/ case studies you read online
- Blogs or any other resources…
Do not share any internal links
Please choose the appropriate answer from the options given. However, please feel free to state it in the process description section if you do not see the ROI driver in the given list.
Accelerate growth and operational efficiency
I hope this guide is helpful for you to understand the importance of the use case repository and how to add a quality use case.
Let’s all get together and build the repository for everyone to benefit…
Good luck, and enjoy creating the use cases!