Offline Robot, one published packe needs to call another package

Why is this how you’re doing it? This is very atypical.

I was asked to do it this way, it seems “normal” from a programming perspective but might be unusual from a UiPath perspective.

What would you suggest how to do it?

Cheers

Each Process is separate and you manage when they execute through the use of triggers (either time or queue).

And do I have this functionality available without using the Orchestrator? As far as I know, triggers are a thing of the Orchestrator.

I’m completely “offline”.

Oh I thought you are offline but have an on-premise Orchestrator.

Without Orchestrator the Invoke Process etc won’t work.

You’re left with having to somehow use command line and scheduled batch files etc to run your automations.

Why don’t you have Orchestrator? You should. It’s how you do these kind of things.

I’m not the one taking the descisions.

We might get an orchestrator in the future, but it is really astonishing that this doesn’t work without one at all.
Especially since it is implied quite often that it actually does, if I at least use the assistant and publish locally.

From what I’m told, the main workflow is initialized by some kind of script that is calling it, but they intend to only call the control-process this way, the rest should be handled by the process I’m creating.
It’s all a big mess it seems. We got told today that what I already had working (calling .xaml files in the subfolder) isn’t gonna work because you can’t invoke .xaml files on an unattended robot. That’s why I had to start looking into publishing these processes “offline” and try to call them that way since that seems the only way it works on an unattended robot.

And besides that, there is a manually created config json file that is supposed to be part of that workflow and I have no clue how to include that now since everything has changed with these packages now.

Hi @richard2e ,

Could you let us know if you have Published the Two Processes Separately ?

Also let us know what is the version of UiPath you are using ?

For Instance, I published two Processes in the Below Way :

In the First Message Box process I am invoking the Second Message Box Process using Invoke Process Activity with values being passed to it.

It does work.

Below is the Sequence Flow :

The Second Mesage Box has just a Message Box in it.

Also note that this is achieved when I had Logged Out/Signed out from Orchestrator

Yes, I have published them separately, just as you did.

I’m using the latest version of UiPath, that should be 2022.4.3.

I should note that I have renamed the “main.xaml” to reflect the name of the process, but I have provided this as a parameter to the “invoke process” activity.

Other than that, I have tried to run this with providing a folder path and without in the input field where it says “orchestrator”.

Using Assistant and publishing locally is for attended automations, meaning a user manually runs them from Assistant and they take over the user’s machine (the user has to keep hands off keyboard and mouse).

If you want to run unattended, meaning on a server somewhere with no human interaction, you use Orchestrator or jump through hoops (ie batch files etc)

Also, it’s important to understand that you don’t run XAML files. You click the Publish button in Studio and either publish to Orchestrator directly, or to a local file that you save somewhere. This file will be a .nupkg file which is more than XAMLs. That file is what Assistant picks up to execute as a job.

@richard2e , This was not needed. Maybe could you show us the Screenshots of your configuration ?

The Folder Path Indicates the Orchestrator Folder Path where the Process reside, you don’t need to use it, Hence you may be getting the error.

Here is a screenshot of the config of the current demo sub-process I’m trying to run:

And here is a screenshot of how I’m trying to invoke the process:

And this is where the packages reside in the correct folder:

I have tried filling this box or letting it empty with the exact same result.

Cheers

If that really is the case, then they are intentionally limiting what you can do with uipath which would be kind of stupid. :-/

Have you Published these processes from Studio to a local file:

…then put that file where Assistant can see it?

It isn’t limiting it. You just don’t have the components necessary to do what you want.

@richard2e , So for the Configuration done above, Do you get the Error ? But the Folder Path does not have the value ? Do you get a different error ?

Yes, as posted above (screenshot of the folder)

Ran it again now, but the error is the same, regardless of what I put in the field or leave it emty.

Basically translates to “a process with the name XYZ can’t be found in the folder XYZ”.

But as you saw before, it’s clearly there.

@richard2e ,

Does Both the Processes, The Process which is Invoking and the Invoked Process have many Steps or is it simple ?

If there are many or complicated steps, could you maybe create two simple processes as I have done above, to just Check if it works. Do not try renaming the main.xaml files as well.

This way, we’ll be able to identify if it is a bug related to your Studio/Robot.

Also, Are you using the c# Language ?

The demo process is rather simple, it’s just outputting a few message boxes, the main one is rather complex, yes.

And yes, I am using C#.

I will try to re-create a simpler process and try to invoke it.
And although I don’t think that the name of the .xaml should make any difference (it really shouldn’t), I will leave it as default for the test as well.

Edit:
so when leaving everything at default (main.xaml) in the demo processes, the invokation worked out as expected.

When I changed the names of the .xaml files, I had to check “use package” in the invocation action, otherwise it would complain (never seen this checkbox before).
But then it also worked as expected.

Why it won’t work in my case it beyond me…but my process is more complex than casting a message box, otherwise that would defeat the purpose of using automation :slight_smile:

Edit2:
here is a screenshot of this extra checkbox that I don’t have in my original workflow when using the invoke process activity: