Need of better debug capabilities in UiPath

Hello everyone from UiPath community,
I have observed that we really need better debugging capabilities in Uipath studio.
Prior to switching to Uipath RPA framework, I have worked on VB6 and VB.Net, C#, java programming languages using Visual basic editor, different versions of Visual studio and eclipse.

I feel that we need better debugger with the feature to allow few features as follows:

1. Add watch (developer should be able to introduce variable to see its values in local window at run time.
  2. A facility to be able to move pointers from one step to another forcefully by dragging to to intended steps.

Feel free to add or comment if you agree on this or have better ways to manage while coding.

Regards,
Chetan

beside what you mention, it would be nice if they implemented the option to run at non-debug speed and only stop when encounter the actual debug marker. Currently when you debug if you have long lists that you need to compare to another long list that at normal speed take 10 minutes to run, when debugging at fastest speed it takes up toward two hours due to the many steps in the comparison.

4 Likes

Another nice thing would be a parameter that says you run in debug mode.
So after you can go if else and choose different branch while normal run or debug.
Same thing could be achieved by changing env var, but would be nice if it goes with a pressing of F7

True. I was building one process which I had to filter records in one excel file with around 90k rows into 2 different data table based on certain conditions. It takes ages t reach in the middle of of record. So I would agree that conditional debugging would be a great feature as well.

Hello everyone from UiPath community,
I have observed that we really need better debugging capabilities in Uipath studio.
Prior to switching to Uipath RPA framework, I have worked on VB6 and .NET, C#, java programming languages using Visual basic editor, different versions of Visual studio and eclipse.

I feel that we need better debugger with the feature to allow few features as follows:

1. Add watch (developer should be able to introduce variable to see its values in local window at run time. Also, if it is a object then we should be able to drill down to all it’s child and see different values of its child elements.
  2. A facility to be able to move pointers from one step to another forcefully by dragging to to intended steps.

Feel free to add or comment if you agree on this or have better ways to manage while coding.

Regards,
Chetan

Also if it was possible to move the pointer, then be able to make changes then re run from that point, otherwise I have to make changes and rerun from the start so the variables have the right value for testing.

1 Like

Not sure if this is related, but it would also be nice if the output said why an activity failed.

Example:
Attach Browser activity gives the error Value does not fall within the expected range.
When looking further into this, it does not specify what value is being referenced which makes debugging extremely difficult.