Need logs written on console when i run a file from command line

I am running a file from command line using UiRobot.exe and want to get the logs reported on the console itself. can this be done?
C:\Program Files (x86)\UiPath\Studio>uirobot execute --file “C:\MyFolder\Main.xaml”

Output is just this on the console: “{}”

I have used Log message activity and write line activity on the workflow.

Hello @akhi_s27!

It seems that you have trouble getting an answer to your question in the first 24 hours.
Let us give you a few hints and helpful links.

First, make sure you browsed through our Forum FAQ Beginner’s Guide. It will teach you what should be included in your topic.

You can check out some of our resources directly, see below:

1. Always search first. It is the best way to quickly find your answer. Check out the image icon for that.
    Clicking the options button will let you set more specific topic search filters, i.e. only the ones with a solution.

2. Topic that contains most common solutions with example project files can be found here.

3. Read our official documentation where you can find a lot of information and instructions about each of our products:

4. Watch the videos on our official YouTube channel for more visual tutorials.

5. Meet us and our users on our Community Slack and ask your question there.

Hopefully this will let you easily find the solution/information you need. Once you have it, we would be happy if you could share your findings here and mark it as a solution. This will help other users find it in the future.

Thank you for helping us build our UiPath Community!

Cheers from your friendly
Forum_Staff

Hi @akhi_s27,
Have you checked the Event Viewer?

I didn’t expect that Event Viewer would be involved here. However, as you suggested, I checked Event Viewer and didn’t find anything there.
I also tried to update the NLog.config at [C:\Program Files (x86)\UiPath\Studio\NLog.config]

This is what i Updated it to:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> <nlog xmlns="http://www.nlog-project.org/schemas/NLog.xsd" 	xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" internalLogLevel="Debug" internalLogFile="C:\Temp\NLog.Internal.txt" throwConfigExceptions="true">
>   <variable name="WorkflowLoggingDirectory" value="${specialfolder:folder=LocalApplicationData}/UiPath/Logs" />
>   <rules>
>     <logger name="WorkflowLogging" writeTo="WorkflowLogFiles" final="true" />
>     <logger minLevel="Info" writeTo="EventLog" />
> 	<logger name="*" writeTo="ConsoleLogs" />
>   </rules>
>   <targets>
>     <target type="File" name="WorkflowLogFiles" fileName="${WorkflowLoggingDirectory}/${shortdate}_Execution.log" layout="${time} ${level} ${message}" keepFileOpen="true" openFileCacheTimeout="5" concurrentWrites="true" encoding="utf-8" writeBom="true" />
>     <target type="EventLog" name="EventLog" layout="${processname} ${assembly-version} ${newline}${message}" source="UiPath" log="Application" />
> 	<target xsi:type="Console" name="ConsoleLogs" layout="${time} ${level} ${message}"/>
>   </targets>
> </nlog>

However still the logs aren’t getting posted to console

Logging is mostly the Orchestrator thing. But you can achieve something kind of by custom output during key steps of the process.

custom output is already built. but I need to get the log messages that are posted to the default UiPath logs to also be posted to console.

I double checked this with proper team and these type of logs are only available through Orchestrator.

Thanks Pablito.
This actually heads towards another question that needs clarity around how are the logs posted to Orchestrator.
Coming back, if I have a Attended named user license then Orchestrator isn’t a mandatory component in the license landscape. In such case, when I try to run workflow from command line then all such logs get written to a local file as specified by the following NLog configuration :

<target type="File" name="WorkflowLogFiles" fileName="${WorkflowLoggingDirectory}/${shortdate}_Execution.log" layout="${time} ${level} ${message}" keepFileOpen="true" openFileCacheTimeout="5" concurrentWrites="true" encoding="utf-8" writeBom="true" />

Now this implies the target of the logs are controlled from this NLog configuration. In such case, if I specify and additional Console as the Target then why would it be wrong to expect the same logs to be written on the console.

1 Like

Yes, you’re totally right about this. It’s not that it’s not possible. It’s rather just lack of functionality. I will use your post to sent improvement request for our devs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Pablito.
I’d wait for your response to know if this is being taken up and its availability in which upcoming release.

Sure, but please remember that this is long going process which needs to be verified etc. You can read more about our processes from this post: