Multiple assign activity

It might improve legibility of the workflow if multiple subsequent assigns could be performed in one activity.

Cheers.

12 Likes

@badita - I like this one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Something like to have a ā€œ+ā€ button to add a new line for a new assignment, right?

3 Likes

This will be very helpful. I hope somebody from UiPath Dev team reading theses suggestions and plan to have it in future release.

2 Likes

Bumpity bump.

4 Likes

It would be a bit nicer, but I dont think it would be a huge improvement (do correct me if Iā€™m wrong)

But if weā€™d add a + sign that basically adds another 2 fields in the Assign, while it would make for cleaner workflows, it doesnā€™t really help with actual development time or ease of use. It would just replace a drag action (or a paste) with a click, right?

So itā€™s just a cleanliness thing?

1 Like

I kind of agree. I also think the Assign in a Flow Chart is slightly cleaner because you can move the boxes side by side.

Invoke code could be used also to store many variables in one activity.

Although, Iā€™m not against any potential feature improvements also.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I second this one, but bearing one concern in mind.
With using multiple Assigns we can add Annotation on each of it, so on Multiple Assigns it might be nice if we can add comments on each variable. I know the variable should have self-describing name, but there are times it is hard to keep without making the variable too long, or when the team programmers are not English native. Or should I have another document to list itā€¦?

Hey!

is there any news about this idea to assign many variables in one activity?

1 Like

Hi @UiMe and everybody,

We are working on the redesign for the Assign activity. Apart from being able to do a multiple assign in one go, what other improvements would you like to have?

2 Likes

Just to add, when you assign multiple variables the activity will be larger visually, so you should be able to ā€œexpandā€ and ā€œcollapseā€ it in both flowchart and sequence.

1 Like

Hi,
Just one thought crossed my mind: It should ensure that the right side of the later assign could include result of the earlier one, e.g. like below:

Var1 = 1 + 1
Var2 = Var1 + 1
Var3 = Var1*Var2

Cheers

3 Likes

Please add increment and decrement! Iā€™m tired of doing stuff like TransactionNumber = TransactionNumber + 1 something like this would be much cleaner: TransactionNumber += 1. Iā€™m guessing that would mean adding a dropdown in the properties for the different types? i.e. =, +=, -=, *=, /=, **=.

5 Likes

Hopeā€¦this option is still under development (from UIPATH).

Multiple assign activity saves lot of time !!!

1 Like

Iā€™d like to be able to copy my assigns from excel, as I can build my code easyly there.
E.g. I copy-paste&transpose my columnheaders in column B and can create the code with formulas in a few seconds

1 Like

I am not sure how exactly you see this happening. What should be on the right and what should be on the left side of the Assign?

in the example above:
left = io_dt_temp.Columns(1).ColumnName
right = ā€œAAAā€

The example shows how easy it is to create a bunch of code on behalf of just 2 columns in excel: create 1 formula, double click on the black dot (donā€™t know how to call it) and in no time you have 34 (in my case) assigns.

If invoke code would work as quick as regular assigns, that would do as well (or maybe even better).

You might play around with the Invoke Code activity. I bet you can implement your code in the way you are describing to assign all your variables.

1 Like

Yes, I know. And I did; and compared it with the ā€˜normalā€™ assign-activities.
Result: 34 assigns in invoke code takes 573 milliseconds, whereas with plain ā€œuipath-assignsā€ it takes only 7 milliseconds.

Yup, exactly what I was thinking :slight_smile: