I’d like to understand my options to manage a very large number of robots configuration parameters.
Please note that I am writing about information like website URLs, email recipients, output folders, that you want to keep outside of the robot to be able to change its behaviour without re-programming it.
I am NOT writing about parameters passed to workflows inside robots (arguments).
I am NOT writing about robots’ general configuration settings like loginToConsole/screen resolution.
We are currently migrating 15+ robots to an Orchestrator environment with a total number of parameters well over 200. Orchestrator has assets, but I can’t imagine having to add 200+ assets one by one (actually, they’re 400+ because we have both Test and Production instances).
We used to lean on XLS files, read by each robot when it starts and copied into a Dictionary. This approach has quite a few cons:
- you must put the XLS in a location where it can be read by the robot
- you must put it in a location where you/others can edit it
- you need a local access to the robot server/environment in order to edit it
- you need Excel application
- inside the robot, you must bring the params dictionary along the invocation chain, from the Main to the utmost workflow
I am then asking what other options we have, to minimize point of failures and inconveniences, and possibly centralized.