For the performer I cannot get any monthly reports to show up. Others seem to have had this issue too as seen in this thread.
As per that thread, I’ve tried resetting the data and emptying the orchestrator queue but nothing works. Others recommend using other years but my only two options are 2018 and 2019 and neither work. Mostly it has been concluded there was a bug in System1, which has either resurfaced now or has never been solved.
Also, to avoid the chaos of the mentioned thread (which is frankly predominant through most threads in this forum), please STICK TO THIS TOPIC. If you have your own issue, start a new thread. Also, I would prefer some response from the actual UiPath team since this problem seems to involve their system.
Edit: Doesn’t work with in neither IE, Firefox, nor Chrome. I’ve also tried logging in and out of both System1 and Orchestrator, as well as deleting transactions in the queue and deleting the entire queue itself. Restarting my computer doesn’t fix it either.
EDIT: I am dumb. See the solution, and also this thread.