I have multiple robots running a job scheduled every hour, all robots are working fine, except one robot for a job ended in an unexpected error. The logs are of not much help here, so if anyone came across with this issue, please share suggestion. I am runnning with Orchestrator 2018.4.3.
If you are on EE (Enterprise Edition) please also contact with our Technical Support:
The error may be occured due to the system is in unresponsive state. Please try to google the error so that you will get some sort of good information about this.
Out of my enthusiasm to know the error, I just googled the same
This article will help you :
Thank you for your response. I did google the issue and read the same post. I also checked system events/logs on the robot computer executing the job, but surprisingly nothing is there.
I will monitor future jobs and if any one get fail, I will contact UIpath technical team.