Is Drag-and-Drop the only process design option?

Hey Everyone!

Doing an eval of UiPath and wondering if there’s an option to the drag-and-drop process design experience?

Personally, I prefer the list view option, where activities are displayed in a sequential order, with properties set in a popup or sidebar, conditional If and Loop statements have nested activities and utilize indentation formatting, etc.

TIA for your feedback!
-Duke

Hi @duke.ames

Yes… drag and drop is the usual way we design the process workflows. With Uipath, process design has two methods… sequential workflows and flowcharts… sequential flow (which is the one you like) are used for more sequential processes where things happen one after the other. The flowchart is used she there are multiple complex logic involved as having such in sequential order is not recommended and it will look very complicated…

So, we use sequential flows for things like login to an application, performing step by step tasks etc where much decision making is not involved. Flowcharts are used to handle complex business rules of the process…

One other option we have is, if we use Explorer Expert tool, you can record the process there and directly export it to a workflow solution in Studio which is really cool…

1 Like

Hey Lahiru,

Thanks for the quick reply! I consider both the sequential and workflow design options drag-and-drop (lines connecting activities). I’ve worked with other automation tools that use the list IDE and it’s much easier to build a workflow than the old-school Visio type approach. With complicated workflows, flowcharts get real messy real fast; having to pan around the design surface, you can quickly get lost, especially if you’re not the developer who originally designed it. I definitely need to spend more time with UiPath, complete the developer training and evaluation. Hopefully I’ll get used to it as management seems to have made the decision to go with this tool. See you around the forums!

-Duke

2 Likes

Hey @duke.ames

Yes I can understand the point. I have also used other tools and have experienced the point. However, in uipath this is achieved by breaking the whole thing into different subsets. For example, without including the whole complex logic in one flowchart, we will have that separated out using sub flowcharts or sequences… and even sometimes by adding invoke workflow activities to execute other workflows to handle some logic separately and some logic in the main. This makes the life easier, and will look less complicated… also, we do add some amount of annotations and comments to describe the flow…

Just mentioning the different ways we manage it :slight_smile:

See you around for sure :slight_smile: