How to use variables in selectors in Studio (dynamic selectors) without string manipulation!

neat! thanks for reminding me of this, had forgotten it was added!

3 Likes

I was expecting this for a long time
you are awesome @loginerror

2 Likes

Variables are available since 19.4. Arguments have been added in 19.8.

4 Likes

Thanks, it really looked good but for me it’s simply taking the variable name inside braces and not the actual value which the variable has.
Sure, I might be doing something wrong

Please make sure the scope of the variable is correct (= the activity can ‘see’ the variable). Otherwise, a small project that reproduces the issue would be appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am only seeing choose/create variable in the context menu, but in my case I am trying choose an argument, which I see as an option in your screenshot. Any settings that I need to change?

Edit: Just to be clear, I do understand that I can assign the value of the argument to a variable and accomplish the same thing, just trying to do it in the cleanest way possible.

Great post, I usually use string manipulation and I think this way takes less steps and it’s easier to read. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi @jcarr79

Argument support was added in 2019.8, I think. What is your Studio version? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @loginerror - that’s definitely why :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is awesome. Though it’s being available for quite a long time, today only I knew that this can be done. It’s really helpful in getting dynamic selectors done.

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial… you are awesome

7 Likes

Hi.

I have not used this yet, but I have a question, and a very important one :smiley:
I also am not sure if this has maybe been answered before.

Can you use .net to manipulate the value as you use the variable?
For example, let’s say menuOption is of type Date, can you use {{menuOption.ToString("MM-dd-yy")}}

This is pretty important, atleast in my opinion. You can’t expect us to have multiple variables for the same value of slight manipulations, everytime we want to use it in a selector. :wink:

7 Likes

Hi @ClaytonM

I believe your go to for now would be to re-assign the string manipulation to the same variable just before using it in the selector.

It’s a valuable feedback though, I tracked it and it will be considered :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting and I missed this update.

Such a great feature. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very Interesting

1 Like

Hi @ loginerror

How can we use idx value dynamically using same method?

can you suggest any method for me use?

when i was scrape the data every time idx was changing? can i give dynamic idx or not?

thanks @loginerror it’s nice to hear this kind of improvements that make developers life easier :slight_smile:

This has changed my life. You are deeply appreciated @loginerror

1 Like

It will reduce developer mistake during the implementation. :wink:

1 Like

Is there a way to use variables in the selector for us using version 2018.4.3? I wish I had 2019 to use, but as I work for the gov, we are waiting for approval to use 2019 and that could take some time still.