How to retrieve value of the column instead of Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue

I’m trying to retreive the CreatedBy column (i.e Author) value from sharepoint using
But the output is Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue instead of actual value.
Can you please help me in retreiving the actual value.
When I searched, suggestions came as below:


Which is not allowed in Uipath.
Kindly suggest.

1 Like

Try : ListItem(“Author”).Value.ToString


This returns the output as - Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue
Not returning the actual value.


Check if it has any value.
ListItem(“Author”).HasValue it will return a boolean


I have the same problem, do you have the solution ?


I’m also having the same issue. No one found a solution for this?? :cold_sweat:


For everyone who can also have this issue, I’ve the solution to extract and to insert this data.

To extract the data, the solution provided by @oddrationale on my post “Getting "Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue" with Get List Items Sharepoint activity” works fine, we must extract the Sharepoint list item data with the dictionary option and use this sentence to extract its value:

CType(OutputDict(0)(“REQUESTER”), Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue).LookupValue

By another side I’ve also found the way to insert data on those kind of fields but we must use an Invoke Code activity and insert a VB.NET code to interact with Sharepoint. Also, the user that we want to assign to the field must have the permissions (or have had it on the past) on the list where we want to add him.

I’ve used it like this:


And here is the code, I mark the things that must be replaced between asterisks (**), from my side, the only thing I’ve letted static on the code is the site URL because on my company it’s the same URL for all the requests declared to services teams (that we name “SFR”), the ones that starts by “IC_” are the In arguments of the activity:

   Dim context As New ClientContext(**"http://our.sharepoint.url:PORT/SUBSITENAME"**)
    Dim web As Web = context.Web

    Dim collList As ListCollection = web.Lists

    Dim oList As List
    Dim existe As Boolean

    existe = False

    ' Carga las listas del site GMC
    For Each oList In collList
        If oList.Title = **IC_ListName** Then
            existe = True
            Exit For
        End If

    Dim usuario As Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.User
    usuario = web.SiteUsers.GetByEmail(**IC_UserMail**)

    If existe Then
        Dim query As New Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.CamlQuery
        Dim itemList As ListItemCollection = oList.GetItems(query)

        Dim oItem As ListItem
        Dim existed As Boolean
        existed = False
        For Each oItem In itemList
            If oItem.Id = **IC_ID** Then
                existed = True
                Exit For
            End If

        If existed Then
            usuario = web.SiteUsers.GetByEmail(**IC_UserMail**)
            oItem("ASIGNEDTO") = usuario
			End If
    End If
	Console.WriteLine("""Assigned to"" field updated. End of Invoked code.")
1 Like

Thanks a lot for your code.
I have this problem when i try to read the userdata

test (string)= CType(dictionarySharePoint(0)(“REQUESTER”), Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue).LookupValue

dictionarySharePoint variable :dictionary.collections.generic.dictionary<system.string,system.object>

i don’t understand the error :frowning:

Hi @l.sambinelli I can’t check it to give you screenshots or detailed description right now because we’ve just purchased the Enterprise plan on my company and I’m having issues to connect my studio. :woozy_face:

I think it’s because you don’t have the needed shareepoint collections on your Imports pannel. I was having the same problem and dealing with it during hours since I found the solution, try to check your Imports pannel to see if you can add more Sharepoint collections, if not, to add more options to your available collections on Imports pannel, you must download packages, the packages comes with collections, try to find Sharepoint packages for this. Another issue that I found too with this is that, sometimes, more than one collections uses same function names so you must use the complete collection+function name or delete one of the collections, if not, UiPath don’t know what of the two collections must be used and it gives an error similar to your error too.

As soon as I will be able to solve my issue with my Studio I will try to give you more details about it. :crossed_fingers:

Thank you for your time!
i just found what was the problem. it’s a bug of UIPATH.
If i write the sequence in assign activity i receive that error but if i insert before of assign activity a simple log message activity with the same sequence the error disappear!!!

1 Like