How to install an extension without installing Studio

This post has been solved, find to the solution below
Dear Forum
I’ve come to learn that in order to install an extension, for example the FireFox extension, one needs to have Studio installed. There are appearantly 2 ways to install extensions as per https://docs.uipath.com/studio/v2019/docs/extension-for-firefox

Now this makes perfect sense in a development environment, but I fail to see how I can run a robot in a production environment that does not have a Studio installed, but only the UiRobot.exe agent.

This is the equivalent of having to install Visual Studio on an end users computer in order to execute an application/app or even accessing a website, developed in Visual Studio. It just doesn’t make sense.

Other reasons not to install a Studio on a production robot, is the risk of accidentally developing or hot-fixing a robot in production instead of doing it in the appropriate development robot environment.

What’s your feedback on this? Is there a standalone installer for each of the extensions I simply don’t know of?
Best regards, Mikke

1 Like

@Mikkel_Nielsen

for Extension without studio, check below post

For installing the robot only, if you have the enterprise edition, you have an option to install only Robot while running the UiPathPlatform.exe

so only robot will be installed, not studio

Mark as solution if this helps

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, but a Chrome extension cannot work with FireFox.
This is really a principle question, as I can make the argument all extensions should have standalone installers available.
You are right how just the robot can be installed, but understand how this makes no sense if the robot cannot access extensions because they seemingly cannot be installed without the Studio component.
Cheers

@Mikkel_Nielsen

I have given you example with my previous post

Setup Extension.exe will work for google chrome also, all you need is to mention /chrome as below

Check below documentation

Mark as solution if this helps

Thanks

@Srini84, iIn order to install extensions through commandline one needs to have Studio installed, or so it seems from looking at the screenshot you have provided? So how does one install these extensions when Studio is not installed like I detailed in my original post?
Is it as simple as copying the UiPath folder from %ProgramFiles(x86)\UiPath\Studio" to a random folder on a Robot VDI, and then executing the setupExtensions.exe with the valid parameter?
If so, this should be in the official docs Extension for Firefox

@Mikkel_Nielsen

As i mentioned in the post, you can copy the setupExtensions.exe file which is installed in your development environment, from there you can paste in production robot machine folder and run from the command prompt

it will then prompt you by opening chrome browser to Add to the chrome

Hope this will clear your doubts

Thanks

Actually one does not need to copy anything!
I just installed the Robot, on a clean machine, without installing the Studio. And all the files are installed!!
Anmærkning 2020-08-13 124026
So the solution to the orginal problem is to:

1. Install only robot as pr Installing the Robot
    Anmærkning 2020-08-13 124641
  2. From the command-line of the library in which Robot.exe was installed, (typically) “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\UiPath\Studio\UiPath” run setupExtensions.exe with the “/?” to see instructions on how to install each of the extensions from command-line.
  3. Installing the extension from command-line
5 Likes

@Mikkel_Nielsen

You are able to see the files, check below

Copy those entire files, and create a folder in your production robot environment, from there open command prompt and execute the command

open your command prompt and run the setupextensions.exe no need to go to BrowserExtension folder

Yes, the supporting files are in Browser Extension folder and Java Support folder

Hope this clears your doubt

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.