How to automate RDP of a remote machine for robots to do some tasks

Hi,

I have completed some projects in a remote machine. I have assigned these projects in task scheduler to run these tasks on daily basis. Now i am facing an issue like i need to take the RDP of the remote machine without any human intervention. I have tried this with some powershell scripts, but it takes the RDP but it needs a click event to start the task scheduler of the UIPath Installed Machine. Please suggest a solution.

1 Like

Fine
have we used any trigger events activity in our workflow like click Trigger
https://docs.uipath.com/activities/docs/click-trigger

Cheers @prejith

1 Like

@Palaniyappan Does the UiPath works when it is installed in a remote server and its RDP is minimized. Is there any solution for this?

Example: I am taking the RDP of my server machine and minimize it. I also schedule Uipath tasks in the Task Scheduler of the server machine. The bots doesn’t start the execution because of the RDP is in minimized mode. How can i solve this?

1 Like

yah thats possible but its purely based on the process that we do, like if it has just click and type into then we would have enabled simulate or sendwindow message property in those activities so that it will continue executing even if the screen is minimized,
but if it has any data scrapping or screenscrapping we need that RDP window to be in maximized screen and for that we can use MAXIMIZE WINDOW activity as a first activity along the sequence
else we will be getting error like timeout or unable to find the element in the machine

Cheers @prejith

1 Like

Do we have any other queries to be discussed buddy
Cheers @prejith

Hey @prejith

Automation on a virtual environment example like Remote Desktop Connection is done through visual recognition of elements rather than direct UI object interaction.
RDP window needs to be visible at all times for most UI actions to work. However, interactive tasks can be executed on a remote computer while the Remote Desktop window is minimized. but to achieve that we need to modify the Remote Desktop registry settings on the local computer first.

Regards…!!
Aksh

What is the setting to be modified ?

Hi @c.ciprian

1. Type regedit in the Windows search box on the taskbar and press Enter.
  2. If prompted by User Account Control, click Yes to open the Registry Editor.
  3. The Windows Registry Editor window should open and look similar to the example shown below.

4. Now search or Navigate to the following Registry keys:
For the current Local user:
if Target Operating System is 32 bit-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

if Target Operating System is 64 bit-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

1. For All System users-
    if Target Operating System is 32 bit-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

if Target Operating System is 64 bit-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

1. Create a new DWORD value with the RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized name
  2. Right-click inside the right panel of the Registry Editor window
  3. Select New >Select DWORD (32-bit) Value. A new registry is added to the right panel
  4. Change the default name to RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized.
  5. Double-click RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized. The Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value window is displayed
  6. Write 2 in the Value data field.
  7. Press OK to save changes.
  8. Now you have to Close the Registry Editor window.
  9. Sign off all users from machines before executing a job.
  10. Now you will be able to automate UI actions even when the RDP window gets minimized.

Regards…!!
Aksh

1 Like

But why do you want to automate RDP for a remote machine, when you can easily access machines remotely using tools like R-HUB remote support servers, logmein, Teamviewer etc. ?