Help with Robot Deployment

Hi there, I need a conceptual help here.

I am working in a company in which I have been given 1 License of Studio and 1 License of Attended Robot, and they want me to deploy a robot (I have previously developed in UiPath but only in Dev and debug enviroments, not Prod). For that, I have been given access to a Virtual Machine.

As I´m rookie to this, which is the recommended architecture to deploy an Attended Robot? I have some doubts:

• As I only have 1 Studio License and 1 Robot License, do I have included an Orchestrator license with the robot? If so, is it mandatory to deploy an Orchestrator? (pro-cons?)

• If Orchestrator is mandatory/recommended, where to host the Orchestrator?:

• On the VM I have (alongside the running robot).
    • On a different VM (different from the VM where the robot will be) or company PC.
    • Web-based like the CE (https://platform.uipath.com).
  • Can I have the licensed Studio in my PC and the Robot running in the VM? Or is it mandatory to have the UiPath Studio in the same machine where the Robot is?

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Pablo

Hi @pdelgadogp,

• As I only have 1 Studio License and 1 Robot License, do I have included an Orchestrator license with the robot? If so, is it mandatory to deploy an Orchestrator? (pro-cons?)

No, you don’t get the license - Orchestrator is a separate product. (with attended robots pros of the orchestrator are mostly limited to some advanced logging features like good integration with elasticsearch and kibana; license management; unfortunatelly with attended licenses you wont be able to utilize half of the features Orchestrator has to offer)

• If Orchestrator is mandatory/recommended, where to host the Orchestrator?:
    • On the VM I have (alongside the running robot). [Answer] possible but not recommended
    • On a different VM (different from the VM where the robot will be) or company PC. [Answer] Ideally yes, on a different VM
    • Web-based like the CE (https://platform.uipath.com). [Answer] you can go ahead and checkout this https://cloud.uipath.com
  • Can I have the licensed Studio in my PC and the Robot running in the VM? Or is it mandatory to have the UiPath Studio in the same machine where the Robot is? [Answer] Yes, you can and it makes a lot of sense to separate those two things; You can install robot alone on the prod machine with the msi installer and on your dev machine you can install studio . This way you won’t have your users trying to tamper with workflows or developing something on the side

I hope you can help me.

After all there is no one clear answer to those questions as its hugely company-specific (like decision whether to go with orchestrator or not and how to deploy it, if at all) though I hope my answer will help you :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Filip

1 Like

Hi @Filip_C, many thanks! It surely helped me.

From what I have been reading and your answers, I think that as I have acces to only 1 Attended license, I will not use Orchestrator (correct me if I’m wrong, but attended robots can only be launched manually from the system tray). We are starting RPA development, so I see no point on using Orchestrator because right now the RPA workload will not be too high.

On the other hand, I will install Studio in my dev laptop and keep only the robot in the VM. Regarding this, I have one question: how do I license only the robot in the VM? I know how to license the Studio in my laptop, but not how to license the standalone Attended robot.

Thanks a lot Filip! :slight_smile:

Hi @pdelgadogp,

Re the orchestrator bit … yes, you would not be able to trigger a process from orchestrator (as I mentioned before, orchestrator with attended robots is merely logs proxy and licensing center)

Regarding the robot licensing question. Please refer to the below article - you’ll be able to license the robot from CMD,

Best Regards,
Filip

Thanks a lot Filip!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.