Get Outlook Email Message Occassional Error: The specified folder does not exist

Hi everyone,

I’m currently facing an issue with the “Get Outlook Mail Messages” activity. It seems to successfully get the emails in a folder in my Inbox only about 60% to 70% of the time.

The outlook email is needed for a process that is being ran multiple times daily by my team and it can get especially frustrating when it throws the “specified folder does not exist” error when in fact it ran successfully a few minutes or hours ago during the day. We also tried to put a Retry scope around the get outlook message activity (up to 15 retries) but it does not seem to work sometimes.

It is not a folder name/path issue as mentioned in previous similar posts as the UiPath process is able to successfully get the outlook messages about 70% of the time. There are even days where it does this 100% but once it throws an error we seem to be stuck on that error for a while. Even restarting Outlook does not work for us to fix this so I’m not really sure what else to do :slightly_frowning_face:

Has anyone being able to successfully connect to outlook using this method without this error? Alternatively, if anyone can suggest another means of getting an Outlook email message seamlessly kindly share your ideas. Thank you all !

@Ronke

For us in retry …we kill and then reopen the outlook and wait till completely loads and we see the issue fixes…try the same

Cheers

Disable cached exchange mode in outlook if it is enabled.
I had the problem as well and changing this setting solved it for me.

Another option, if you don’t want to, or arent’t allowed to change this, is to be really really sure outlook is synced up properly during your session.

  • start it during the init, and build something that proves it’s synced up (for example check the status bar)
  • keep outlook open during your entire run
  • close outlook ‘properly’, so try to avoid the kill process as much as possible. And, when closing give it proper time for it to complete

These tips work better if the mailboxes are kept small. So not having a million folders that are never cleaned up and serve as an archive dating back to when emails were made of paper.

But best still is disabling the cached exchange mode…

Hi Ronke,

Try to increase the TimeoutMS property from 30.000ms (default value) to 100.000ms. This solve your problem.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot, i’ll try out this option and see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi there! thanks for your response…

i did try to do this but it is greyed out in my Outlook (company restrictions) however i’ll try the second option you have suggested. thanks again!

hello, many thanks for your reply. I will try this too and test for a week or so and see if the issue occurs again :slight_smile: