I have a fully working Level 3 Assignment 2 workflow with one problem, which I have tried everything on suggested in the past in the Forum for this issue, so giving it one more go. The issue is that following the first yearly report upload, I am unable to locate the Save box on the message box at the bottom of the page. I have tried a series of solutions proposed in the Forum: key sequences, attaching the window etc… I am unable to pick up this exception. If anyone has a bullet proof solution to what appears to be a common issue, please let me know your solutions!
I also experience very slow performance at a couple of points in the workflow following the first cycle of annual report generation. Based on the timings of the trace messages it appears to be a delay of exactly 1 or 2 minutes, so I assume a timer somewhere, but very unclear where this is. Based on the trace messages it looks like it may be running in the middleware somewhere. Again anyone who has solved this problem let me know. The WaitForReady property is already set to None…with absolutely no impact.
All help gratefully received!