Faking a queue item while developing a xaml module inside REF

Apologies if this is a stupid question…

Is there a way to create a transactionItem from a datatable row ?

Scenario.

• Building (example) process.xaml inside REF.
  • Don’t want to test other xamls just want to focus on process.xaml (imagine if it is something simple instead of requiring lots of child modules
  • don’t want to call the queue which will feed this right now, just want to pass it an item or even read some data directly and pass it item by item

Ideally at this level I would read some test data from an excel, create a simple wrapper module for process.xaml which passes all the required arguments and loops through the data passing transactionItem one by one. Therefore I can test it all, debug etc. just on that file. But that makes me change transactionItem to a databale row to do this (which isn’t quite testing it all).

Is there a way to create a transactionItem from a datatable row ?

@simonpfrank
Have a look here:
FakeQueueItem.xaml (4.9 KB)

ReferenceID, SpecificContent was faked

But never expect all functionalities like from a real one

1 Like

Awesome thank you!! Will give it a go.

Was my question stupid ? Surely one wants to check the process works on queue items standalone before then testing with a real queue ? (i.e. isn’t this a common requirement or am I going about it the wrong way)

Thank you again.

EDIT: have looked at it, and it looks perfect giving me the structure I need. Thank you so much.

@simonpfrank
Your questions was not Stupid. But you should also know, that we dont know the other side skills and expectations. For e.g. set status here the fake dummy approach is not applicaple. About such things the statement was.

However Happy testing :slight_smile:

Thanks, I get what you are saying (I think). i.e. I cannot test ALL scenarios with such a definition, which I think is OK because what i want to do is just test the processing of the data.

I am hoping then that when I test wider (i.e. debugging the project) I can then check it for other things.

To be honest, I am just doing the first practise in the first lesson of advanced - but I also want to develop some methods for the future (instead of rushing through the practise and just hacking it to get it to work). I would think one would start at the atomic function and then work one’s way back up through the hierarchy.

@simonpfrank
we incorporated some forks in the code triggered by a isActive Boolean

if isActive
true: the execute the production code (e.g. set status, save the dialog form)
false: do something different

this technique helped us to setup up test routes very close to production routes.

Maybe this can help you as well

That is an awesome addition too. Going to need to think about that as I work through it. BTW can’t thank you enough for the Queueitem. I did read the docs and search forums, but I was put off by the number of properties of the Queueitem (noob). If you are interested this is what I finally did…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.