Failed Migration from 2016 to 2020 -- UiPath.Activities types do not exist

I am porting a 2016 .xaml flow over to the latest UIPath Studio version, but keep hitting the errors below where certain types / elements no longer exist. I’ve already attempted the following fixes:

1. Updating the project.json file for dependencies between 2016 vs 2019 (Managing Dependencies)
  2. Reinstalling packages in the Package Manager (tried the 2016-2019 versions of each package in the project.json file)
  3. Trying to find the libraries that have each of the below types (e.g. “ShowWindow” is in UiPath.Core.Activities) and replacing with the new package name

None of these seem to work :confused: Any advice on a better strategy for fixing any or all of these errors?

File ‘import.xaml’ - variable ‘roundsComboItems’: Type ‘ul:UiElement’ (‘clr-namespace:UiPath.Library;assembly=UiPath.Library’) could not be resolved and was automatically replaced with ‘UnknownType’

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.ShowWindow’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 102, Column: 6

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Library.Region’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Library’. Row: 104, Column: 10

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.MaximizeWindow’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 107, Column: 6

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.Click’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 112, Column: 6

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.SelectItem’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 117, Column: 6

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.FindChildrenOf’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 133, Column: 6

Could not resolve type ‘UiPath.Activities.ForEach(UiElement)’ because could not find one or more of its type arguments. Row: 138, Column: 6

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Library.UiElement’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Library’. Row: 138, Column: 6

Could not resolve type ‘Error’ because could not find one or more of its type arguments. Row: 139, Column: 8

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.GetValueOf’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 144, Column: 12

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.ForEach(String)’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 149, Column: 6

Could not find type ‘UiPath.Activities.WriteTextFile’ in assembly ‘UiPath.Activities’. Row: 210, Column: 12

Do you want to upgrade the 2019.10.x Enterprise version? Because the 2020 version is still in beta.

The problem with activities is that newer versions of Uipath studio depends on certain core activities.

Upgrading from 2016 to 2019 doesn’t work like you experienced. Every version requires a minimum previous version. That’s why it’s important to upgrade at least once a year.

Might upgrade from 2016 to 2017 studio or to a 2018 version and work your way up.

If you have enterprise, better open a support ticket at Contact Technical Support. You will most likely get the answer that support has ended, because you didn’t upgrade before the EOL notice. But it’s worth the try.

Worst case: install the lates 2019.x version and rebuild your project to this version. I think i would go for this approach. In 4 years there are better ways to build projects now. And as an advantage you can upgrade/improve your project at the same time.

Why did you waited so long with upgrading?. 2016 release has been EOL for some time

2 Likes

Thanks so much @jvanmarion. Appreciate the suggestions here (sorry for late response, somehow notification didn’t get sent to my account).

I will try the progressive upgrade first and see if I can apply the patches one by one, as that seems like the best bet. Then fallback to just rebuilding with the latest 2019 version.

Thank you –