Extracting a Data Table from application with randomized number of columns

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an automation that requires me to extract a data table from an application that I will use to rename files. I need to extract data from certain columns within the data table that will be used for the renaming process.

The problem is that although the data is displayed within a table on the application it can not be extracted using any of UiPath’s built in functions like (Screen scraping, data scraping or table extraction). My solution to this was to get the visible text and then convert it to a data table using the “Generate Data Table” activity and using the “Get visible Text” activity’s output as input for generating the data table.

This causes the next problem which is that every time the data is refreshed within the application the number of columns that are extracted change. This means that I can not extract the data I need from the indexes of the data table as they are never consistent. I can also not use the column names to extract data as the column names are as follows: Column1, Column2,… ColumnN.

An example of the problem (Not actual data):

When the data is extracted it will be as follows:

Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Column5
Patient ID Comment ID Date
John 147 Bk + Ok 4 2022-07-19

After the application is refreshed and new records are added the data will be as follows:

Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Column5 Column6 Column7 Column8
Patient ID Comment ID Date
John 147 Bk + Ok 4 2022-07-19
Jack 178 Ok and BK and Upper 7 2022-07-19

This will always be random and there is no way to determine how many columns would be extracted. I have extracted the data using a text file and Excel and both are unusable as they are never consistent.

Is there some way to construct a data table that would always be in a consistent state to be used for the renaming process.

Thank you to you all for your help as it is really much appreciated.

Hey!

Can we try with this?

CV Extract Table

Regards,
NaNi

Hello Nani,

Thank you so much for responding and for your suggestion. I have already tried using the above mentioned function but it keeps throwing and error stating that “the selected control is not eligible for table extraction”. Thank you again.

Kind regards

Hey!

If possible can you show me the Application? which we’re trying to scrape the data?

Regards,
NaNi

Hi,

I can share a screenshot of the application but will need to blur out the data.

Kind regards

Hey!

I don’t think this is a tabular data…

That’s why this is not allowing us to extract the tabular data…

Refer the below thread

Regards,
NaNi

Hey NaNi,

Thank you so much for your reply and help again. I will read through the thread and see if I can find any solution to the problem. I will make sure to update here if I do find any solution. Thank you so much again. I hope you have a great day.

Kind regards
DvH

1 Like