Executor was already stopped!

Hello, I have a long running process that utilizes the “parallel for each loop”, it creates multiple tasks and waits. The process has been running for 6 months, but now recently a lot of runs of this process have been faulting when run on orchestrator. With the error: Executor was already stopped!. Searching for the error gives up results of people trying to preemptively stop threads.
Here’s the whole error as seen on orchestrator:
* Info: Executor was already stopped!

RemoteException wrapping System.NotSupportedException: Executor was already stopped!
at UiPath.Service.Impl.ExecutorProxy.set_ProcessId(Int32 value)
at UiPath.Service.Impl.ExecutorProxy.d__31.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Service.Messages.MessageDispatcher.d__21.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Service.Core.MessageDispatcherExtensions.d__0`1.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Service.Core.ExecutorService.d__5.MoveNext()
at UiPath.CoreIpc.Server.d__22.MoveNext()
at UiPath.CoreIpc.Server.d__21.MoveNext()
at UiPath.CoreIpc.Server.<>c__DisplayClass4_2.<<-ctor>b__6>d.MoveNext()
at UiPath.CoreIpc.IOHelpers.d__10.MoveNext()
at UiPath.CoreIpc.IOHelpers.d__16`1.MoveNext()

This error does not occur when I run it locally in studio, but studio sometimes stalls and requires a reset when I run the process in debug mode.

Now I know that I must be doing something wrong that is causing this error. Can anyone help me find what I am doing wrong?

Hello @hallgrimur!

It seems that you have trouble getting an answer to your question in the first 24 hours.
Let us give you a few hints and helpful links.

First, make sure you browsed through our Forum FAQ Beginner’s Guide. It will teach you what should be included in your topic.

You can check out some of our resources directly, see below:

1. Always search first. It is the best way to quickly find your answer. Check out the image icon for that.
    Clicking the options button will let you set more specific topic search filters, i.e. only the ones with a solution.

2. Topic that contains most common solutions with example project files can be found here.

3. Read our official documentation where you can find a lot of information and instructions about each of our products:

4. Watch the videos on our official YouTube channel for more visual tutorials.

5. Meet us and our users on our Community Slack and ask your question there.

Hopefully this will let you easily find the solution/information you need. Once you have it, we would be happy if you could share your findings here and mark it as a solution. This will help other users find it in the future.

Thank you for helping us build our UiPath Community!

Cheers from your friendly
Forum_Staff

I’ve also started getting this error. Any idea on how to solve it?

Hi, We too have started seeing this error on an orchestration process, no obvious cause:

Executor was already stopped!

at UiPath.Service.Impl.ExecutorProxy.set_ProcessId(Int32 value)
at UiPath.Service.Impl.ExecutorProxy.d__31.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at UiPath.Service.Messages.MessageDispatcher.d__21.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at UiPath.Service.Core.MessageDispatcherExtensions.d__01.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Service.Core.ExecutorService.<Available>d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.CoreIpc.Server.<InvokeMethod>d__22.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.CoreIpc.Server.<HandleRequest>d__21.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.CoreIpc.Server.<>c__DisplayClass4_2.<<-ctor>b__6>d.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.CoreIpc.IOHelpers.<WithResult>d__12.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.CoreIpc.IOHelpers.<WithTimeout>d__181.MoveNext()

Some more info - it has happened twice, both appear to be after an manual exception was reported in action center, which is usually dealt with by a try catch.

I’ve had this error for 4 months now, can we discuss the layout of our workflows, because I am discussing with tech support on this issue since I’m pretty sure its an error with the activity.

What I’ve found out about this error since I posted is:
It happens outside of my code, about 1-2 seconds after the process gets suspended.
The last log is always That the execution has been suspended
This happens inside a parallel for each loop.

I have not seen it happen for a long time, since we switched from a background process to a foreground one. I saw it happen on a separate background process orchestration bot workflow however - I wonder if that’s related.

Hi,
I ran into this issue as well.
I can confirm the suspicion that it is background process related.
I switched my long running process to background last week.
And now I am also having trouble with this error.
No apparent reason. All other symptoms that you mentioned also happened.
I will probably switch it back to foreground if it appears again.

The strange thing is, that I do have other long running processes, that are setup as background processes, where this issue has not appeared at all in the last 6 months.

I will also try to figure out what the difference is between those processes.

Just wondering if there are any updates for this question?
I got the same error but I have background process as well. In my case, if I have one dispatcher and one performer (the dispatcher has the long-running parallel for each) running, both work as expected. But if I have multiple performer bot running which take tasks and one dispatcher which creates task and waits, this issue appears.

No progress here, we just changed it so the parallel for each only takes one item each and we create a job for each item instead, this prevents the error and makes it work for us but its slightly slower and creates a lot of clutter