Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703F0): An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

Error message:

Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703F0): An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703F0) at UiPath.UiSystemClass.OpenInteractiveWindowsSession(String bstrUser, String bstrPassword, UiOpenSessionFlags nFlags, String bstrApplication, String bstrAppArguments, Int32 nDelayMs, Int32 userToken, UiGenericOptions options) at UiPath.Core.Setup.OpenInteractiveWindowsSession(String username, String password, OpenSessionFlags flags, String application, String arguments, Int32 userToken, Int32 preferredWidth, Int32 preferredHeight, Int32 preferredDepth) at UiPath.Service.Impl.Executor.StartProcessInSession(Guid executorInstanceId, String username, String password, OpenSessionInfo sessionInfo, IntPtr userToken) at UiPath.Service.Impl.Executor.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<b__0>d.MoveNext()

Start Time : “2017-07-10T09:09:00.687Z”
End Time : “2017-07-10T09:09:05.02Z”

Description:

I’m using Orchestrator in a corporate setup to run multiple processes on 2 PCs.
Recently I have started to get above error. I only get it sometimes, but today I got it once on each PC.
At least today it is the same process that fails. this is a process that run simultaneous on both PCs 30+ times per day.
As you can see the process is only running 5 sec before failing, last time it was 1 sec.

Can anyone tell me what this error message means, and how to avoid it?

Studio/Robot/Orchestrator Version:

I’m using the latest stable version of UiPath on an updated virtual windows 10

Hi @Dan_Wulff_Andersen,
I can guess you are using a terminal based application/WIndows, and you have to login to that application.
Please check the arguments which you are passing to the Interactive Window. Is there any null value with the arguments.

Hi @jibanjyoti
In the Event log I can see that UiPath gives the same error.
In UiPath log, the process is not even giving the first log line, that the process is starting.

You are using a start process activity? Which application you are trying to automate?

The applications I what to start is not relevant, since I don’t get to that part.
On a normal process execution, this is the first log lines. see below.
As you can see, the first log, that the process execution started, is added 5 sec after the process is scheduled to start.
When I get this error, UiPath fails before I get the first log line.

09:33:05.3717 Info {“message”:“Process_0006__Feeder_waitlist_bookings_-_get_QueueItem_PROD execution started”,
09:33:06.6530 Info {“message”:“Initialise”,
09:33:06.8405 Info {“message”:“Starting FUNC_Outlook - Start Application”,

Dan I’m having the same issue as well and it just started 2 days ago. Were you able to fix the problem?? Thank you.

No, I have not been able to fix this issue.

Here is a list of different reasons why it is failing. In all cases the process can start fine 30 min before and 30 min after.

• Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703F0): An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.
  • Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800705B4): This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
  • Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070520): A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.
  • Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80071B8E): The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator.
  • Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070006): The handle is invalid.

Hi Dan

I’m getting this same error (sometimes…) when our Orchestrator starts a job. Help would be appreciated.

Best regards Mikkel

I also only get it sometimes. There don’t seem to be any consitancy, but the number of cases have increased.

I can also add another type of reason for the error:

• Executor start process failed, reason System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

Hi

Experiencing the same, it is really a random issue.

Anyone found out anything so far?

Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800705B4): This operation returned because the timeout period expired. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800705B4)

Config RDP timeout to create user session.

Try to check out the above link.

The above link/ solution did not work for me!!!.

My solution though I can’t explain how it solved (May be you can help me with it):

Deleted and recreated Robot in Orchestrator and it works,

1 Like

I have resolved this issue after uninstalling the below Security updates
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4088879, KB4095515, KB4096236, KB4103715 & KB4103768)

Kindly try the same and revert in case of any issues.

Hello
What version are you using ?

In march there was a windows security update that broke the remote desktop connection between Orchestrator and robot. A fix was released for all version:

UiPath v2018.1.3
UiPath v2017.1.6656
UiPath v2016.2.6655

If you are using anything below that, please upgrade and try again, it should work,

Thanks,
-Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Having the same issue on v2018.2.3. Has this fix been considered on the latest version?

Thanks
Cristina

Hello Cristina,

Should be fixed, yes.
Can you post the entire error? Might be from another root cause.

-Andrei

Process: Take_Prtscr
Environment: Acceptance
Robot: VDI_Christina
Info: “Executor start process failed, reason System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070520): A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070520)\r\n at UiPath.UiSystemClass.OpenInteractiveWindowsSession(String bstrUser, String bstrPassword, UiOpenSessionFlags nFlags, String bstrApplication, String bstrAppArguments, Int32 nDelayMs, Int32 userToken, UiGenericOptions options)\r\n at UiPath.Core.Setup.OpenInteractiveWindowsSession(String username, String password, OpenSessionFlags flags, String application, String arguments, Int32 userToken, Int32 preferredWidth, Int32 preferredHeight, Int32 preferredDepth, Boolean fontSmoothing)\r\n at UiPath.Service.Impl.Executor.StartProcessInSession(Guid executorInstanceId, String username, String password, SettingsDictionary execSettings, IntPtr userToken)\r\n at UiPath.Service.Impl.Executor.<>c__DisplayClass17_1.<b__0>d.MoveNext()”
Start Time: 2018/07/06 10:07:10
End Time: 2018/07/06 10:09:16

I have increased the timeout to 120 sec and user has all rights to login. Not sure what is causing it exactly:(

1 Like

Can you please check the robot credentials from Orchestrator again? Those password/user/windows session errors in the logs might signal the fact that the password might be wrong or missing.

There are some not-so-user-friendly functionalities in the robot page in Orchestrator where you would modify something like the username and the password would reset but not visually (the dots are still there but the password is actually missing)

Please re-enter your credentials for the Robot in Orchestrator and let me know if this solved your issue.

As a tip, this COM exception happens when the Orchestrator cannot create a session on the target robot VM. This has several causes that can be diagnosed :

• bad credentials in the robot page from orchestrator
  • a console session is already connected (cannot create rdp connection when console is active)
  • on windows 7 and 10, another user is logged in and only one connection is allowed at a time
  • wrong robot version on VM (see my post about versions above)

So when you get this error, try to manually create a connection to the robot VM using remote desktop connection application from windows. If it works, check your robot settings/version. If it doesn’t work, it’s a problem/limitation with Windows.

Hope this helps and is not confusing :slight_smile: ,

-Andrei

It is not confusing at all and I think we already tried everything. :slight_smile:

• credentials are there and correct
  • i even restarted the VM and tried, session should not be a problem
  • everything is on latest version.

To be honest from the logs it might seem that the firewall is somehow blocking the login, but we can’t identify exactly how and why. Anyway I will open and incident with the Support team to have this more looked into.

Please also look at the Oracle Remediation Encryption from group policy

You can find it by:

1. windows key > run > gpedit.msc
  2. Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Credentials Delegation > Encryption Oracle Remediation

Verify that it’s not enable and not in Protection Level > Force Updated Clients

If you have this, then the rdp connection from Orchestrator to robot VM won’t work and will trigger and COMException (0x80070520) error.

-Andrei