Excel / txt journal automation in Sap

Hi,

I’m trying to find out how to post a excel / txt file in Sap with UiPath (As in a financial posting document). As far as I can see there are multiple options:

a. Run a transaction in Sap in which you have the ability to upload the excel or txt file, these transactions automatically fill the required tables in Sap, this is done by mapping the columns in the excel to the columns in in the Sap table(s).

b.Run the BAPI itself, by for example the Bapi pack, and fill the fields in the bapi with the fields in Excel. I don’t have experience with the Bapi pack. To me, this feels like the right way to go forward, since I’m using activities from UiPath. However, I am not sure if this is possible.

My questions are therefore the following:

1. Which way is best? Or is there another option which is even better?
  2. When using the Bapi pack can you use columns in excel to fill the required tables in Sap?
  3. Does anyone have experience, if so, what was your approach?

Thank you in advance,
Rick

HI Rick,

The ideas you describe are fully correct and there are always 2 ways of moving the data from Excel to SAP and other way around.

1. Over SAP WinGUI: it works good, it works reliable, you can do it. There are no issue here. There is only one concern you have to consider: open transaction, copy data, enter data - this is all suitable for small to mid amount of data and the processing time (mean execution time) can be higher in comparison to SAP BAPI

2. Over SAP BAPI this is an API interface, which allows you to manipulate a huge amount of data in a seconds. This is the recommended way of creating the data. Processing time is in real seconds or minutes. The technical BAPI interface is not changing so often and from this point of view is more reliable in comparison to UI automation. Where UI changes can make the automation breaking.

Both ways are valid and depend on the use case and once more on AMOUNT OF DATA

The good news is, that both UiPath solutions for SAP WinGUI automation and SAP BAPI automation are certified by SAP. The benefits are clear:

• Certified solutions follow SAP standards for technical implementation
  • The certification serves as a proof point for the quality of our product

To help our customers to implement BAPI, we have created set of pre-build components (around 200) for SAP ECC and SAP S/4 HANA, check it here:

https://connect.uipath.com/search?search=SRC

Best regards, Lev

Hi Lev,

First of all, thanks for your reply.
I have not seen all the components so I will definitely take a look at those. Have you seen similar questions on moving data from excel to Sap? I am still looking for some examples…

Kind regards,
Rick.

HI @RickWaldron

I would recommend to start here:

Completely new SAP Academy course , to help you to learn the automation techniques and the best practices for SAP WinGUI automation

In one of the lessons, I am showing how to move Excel Data into SAP with help of UI Automation

Best regards, Lev