Excel application scope fails when closing after Microsof Azure Informaction Protection adoption

Hello,

Recently our company has adopted Microsoft Azure Information Protection.
After adopting it, robots which use excel application scope started failing.
We tried updating excel application, updating activities.

I checked the logs and robots produce this kind of error:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes.IConnectionPointContainer'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{B196B284-BAB4-101A-B69C-00AA00341D07}' failed due to the following error: The requested object does not exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010114).

Then I checked windows events and found a bunch of errors which are produced by UiPath. error message:

UiPath.Executor 19.10.1.0 
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010108): The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010108 (RPC_E_DISCONNECTED))
   at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel._Workbook.Close(Object SaveChanges, Object Filename, Object RouteWorkbook)
   at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication.CloseCurrentWorkbook()

Our excel version is Excel 2013 (15.0.5189.1000) 32-Bit MSO (15.0.5172.1000)
Studio and robot version 19.10.1
Orchestrator 19.4.2

Anyone experienced similar issues?

1 Like

Also found excel application error in Windows Events:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 15.0.5179.1000, time stamp: 0x5d78b59c
Faulting module name: VBE7.DLL_unloaded, version: 7.1.10.68, time stamp: 0x58def2a6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00009e6f

1 Like

We faced exactly the same issue yesterday. Have you found a solution yet? It not, please try disabling Excel add-on of Azure Information Protection. You don’t have to uninstall it, you just need to disable the add-on. Appreciate if you could share your results, since I’m not yet confident if this truly resulves the issue.

Hello, I can confirm that the root cause was Azure Information Protection addon. I have uninstalled it and robots started working again.

Thank you for the feedback. We’ll implement the same solution until the time UiPath technically resolves the issue.

Hello Everyone

I have the same situation but I should use the classification label by azure, do you know if there is a package to download from UIPath?

Thank you,

Miguel