Error Using Excel Read Range and Blank Columns

Scenario: When reading in excel files, the excel read range activity will attempt to add in column names for those without them in the format “Column1”, “Column2”, “Column3”, etc. If an excel sheet already has columns with those names, then it will cause an error as it will append the new column first and then add the one that was present and claim that there is a duplicate.

Steps to reproduce: Create an excel sheet with a blank A1 column and an A2 column with “Column1”. Use read range with the AddHeaders option checked.

Current Behavior: An error occurs due to the activity adding in a column name without first checking the other columns to figure out if it will inadvertently cause a duplicate.

Expected Behavior: Check all column names first before adding in new ones to ensure that duplicates are not being created.

Studio/Robot/Orchestrator Version: 2019.4.4 (All three)

OS Version: Windows 10
Others if Relevant: (workflow, logs, .net version, service pack, etc): Excel activity pack version 2.6.3
Example of current behavior:
Test_ReadRangeColumnNameError.xaml (5.0 KB)
Column name error test.xlsx (8.6 KB)

@dmccammond

As my understanding you are creating a column name which is blank , so you can write the all column names using write range which will avoid duplicate name and error while using Read range.

Thanks,
Suresh J

Hello Suresh,

That unfortunately will not work in all cases. You are assuming that I would know ahead of time all of the column names and the order in which they will be present. In my current situation, that is not the case.