"Error message: Error opening workbook. Make sure Excel is installed." - Multiple Office installations

Hello,

I am having the following error:

An error appeared while executing IT.Automation.Run.Batch_IT Automation 
Error message: Error opening workbook. Make sure Excel is installed.
RemoteException wrapping System.Exception: Error opening workbook. Make sure Excel is installed.  ---> RemoteException wrapping System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass' to interface type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{000208D5-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Interface not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040155). 
   at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, IntPtr& ppTarget, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)
   at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass.set_SheetsInNewWorkbook(Int32 RHS)
   at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication.StartNewApplication()
	--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication.StartNewApplication()
   at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication.InitializeExcelApp()
   at UiPath.Excel.Activities.ExcelApplicationScope.<>c.<.ctor>b__48_0(WorkbookArguments args)
   at UiPath.Excel.Activities.ExcelApplicationScope.Execute(NativeActivityContext context)
   at System.Activities.NativeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
   at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
   at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

I checked several topics here with different solutions. I think I know what is my problem at this point and probably is because I have three different Office installations. Check the following image:

In regedit (Registry Editor):

So I think UIPath is using the wrong Excel version. By the way, I cannot delete any installation. Is there a way I can make it UIPath use Office 365 and ignore the others?

Hi,

Did you try the Repair Tool for Microsoft Office? It might solve this matter.

Regards,

Do I need to install it? For some reason, I don’t have this option in UIPath Studio.

Hi,

Which version do you use?
If use older version, we can download it from resource center in Automation Cloud, as the following.

Regards,

Hi

Please try with with WORKBOOK activities instead of excel
Search as workbook in activity panel and use activities under it instead from excel

We don’t need excel to be installed if we are using workbook activities

And if the issue still repeats then with the same excel based activities, before using them use a KILL PROCESS activity Where mention as “EXCEL” in ProcessName property
Then use excel activities

These workaround will work for sure

@stan_rod

I am using 2019.10.4 Enterprise

Pls give a try with this @stan_rod

I will try with “Kill Process” Activity. But I didn’t work with neither Workbook nor CSV. It said it didn’t find the file.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hello,

I am killing Excel as you mentioned but still the same :frowning: :